• Turmeric

Turmeric

This golden root has some very powerful health benefits well known to Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Looking at the shape of the root should bring no surprises that it is a member of the ginger family.
    Whilst, as a whole turmeric has many benefits, it is one of the compounds within turmeric that has really come under the spot light in recent years, Curcumin.

Curcumin is a polyphenol with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The most recent and interesting benefit is found in the treatment of cancer.
    Although, it would be fair to say that this compound packs a punch in many other chronic illnesses, it is not a spice to be ignored, rather, it should be embraced into all forms of cooking. Just be sure to accompany it with black pepper, as this increases the bodies absorption by 2000%.

Anti-inflammatory

Chronic (long term) inflammation in the body has been linked with the Western diet. Short term inflammation is healthy but, it is the chronic inflammation that plays a role in chronic diseases, including cardiac disease, cancer and Alzheimer's. Curcumin has a strong anti-inflammatory affect, which targets inflammation at the molecular level, thereby helping to reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases.

Antioxidant
    Antioxidants protect against oxidation, which leads to free radicals and cell damage. This damage is known to contribute to ageing as well as diseases such as cancer, heart disease, reduced brain function and a poor functioning immune system.

Cancer
    Curcumin has been an emerging star in the field of cancer studies. The use of curcumin has been shown to slow down cancer growth and as well as preventing further development. This wondrous, golden spice has also shown to inhibit the growth of tumours, with strong studies in cancers such as prostate, pancreas, colon, breast, lung and stomach.

Improved brain function
    The use of curcumin has shown to be beneficial in brain diseases, with positive results in the delay or even the reversal of brain diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and stroke.
    With respect to Alzheimer's, curcumin inhibits the accumulation of plaques in the brain known as Beta-amyloids, helping to reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer's. Interestingly, it has also been shown to break up the plaques, thereby possibly reducing the symptoms for those suffering from the disease.

Arthritis
    Due to the strong anti-inflammatory properties, curcumin has a beneficial effect in reducing inflammation and pain in those that suffer from Arthritis. It does this by blocking inflammatory cytokines and enzymes, as well as modifying the immune system response.
    In some studies curcumin proved to offer a greater reduction in pain and swelling, when compared to the use of some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Comments 7 Comments
      John B -
      Since reading this at the beginning of the month I decided to try a little experiment.

I have been taking Paracetamol and Ibrupofen for shoulder pain for many many years now, 2 of each 3 times a day.

After reading about turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties I decided to add half a teaspoon to my breakfast meal and half a teaspoon to my lunch time meal.

Now I don't know if this is pure coincidence but I now find I am only taking 1 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen twice a day, so a third of what I have been taking every day for years.

I an going to carry on with the turmeric and see how it goes, I will keep you posted.
      Louise -
      Thanks for the feedback John B, I do not think for one minute it is coincidental. Turmeric has well documented pain relieving benefits, I'm pleased to hear it has been helpful to you.
      Mummy2Two -
      I saw some turmeric tablets for sale on Amazon Uk. There were 4 and 5 star reviews for this product. The reviews were excellent, I do try to add turmeric into my cooking now, but think that maybe the tablets and the added powder in my cooking will offer me the greatest benefit.
      Alison66 -
      I've been taking Turmeric for some time now, and noticed a reduction and reliance in my daily requirement of pain relief. Why don't doctors prescribe this instead of ibuprofen? great pain relief without the side effects.
      angela -
      Turmeric is easy for us to grow. So I think we should use raw turmeric rather than supplements.
      So I want to share more about Turmeric, one of the greatest herb of our life. With Turmeric, we can easily get rid of nasal polyps!
      Turmeric is as effective as a chemical antibiotic drug in the nasal polyps treatment. Moreover, the amount of curcumin, a pain-killing substance, in turmeric is great to prevent swollen sinuses. Thus, turmeric is one of the best natural home remedies for nasal polyps.
      Prepare powdered turmeric in warm water.
      Use the mixture to rinse your mouth regularly every day.
      Or, turmeric powder can be mixed with warm milk to consume immediately.
      https://authorityremedies.com/home-r...-nasal-polyps/
      Alison66 -
      Have you seen that Pukka Teas are doing a Turmeric tea. I'm not sure how much Turmeric is in it, or the percentage of active ingredient, but It might be worth trying.
      Tom32 -
      I have been taking Turmeric in tablet form from Pukka, they do a variety of types of tablets. But in the short time I have been taking them, I have noticed a marked difference in my general health. I feel I have less aches.
  • Health News

• Join Us

• External links

Holland & Barrett, the good life.

I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook.

Forks Over Knives.

The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health.

Healing Beyond Medicine: How self-empowerment, a raw vegan diet, and change of lifestyle can free us from sickness and disease.

Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the OrganicallyPure privacy policy

Flag Counter