PDA

View Full Version : Colonic Irrigation

Yogi001
27th October 2016, 07:41
I know, a bit weird. But I've suffered with a sluggish bowel (tmi:rolleyes:) for years. I took up yoga to help me with this amount other things.

I was watching a detox retreat series on the TV where they gave themselves coffee enemas. I've searched around a bit and found there are therapists that do colonic irrigation.

Has anyone any experience in this type of therapy? What are the benefits of it?

over the hill
27th October 2016, 17:25
Hello Yogi001,

I'll be honest, its not for me, I don't like the thought of it. :(

But I do know that it is used for people with a sluggish digestion, irritable bowel syndrome and constipation. I don't know anyone who has had it, but I doubt it is something you tell the family over dinner;)

Teri23
3rd November 2016, 07:20
I nearly missed this thread,:rolleyes:

I've had colonic irrigation for chronic constipation. I had terrible tummy ache and felt crap, (excuse the pun), I went to my GP and got the usual Senna etc, but it didn't help much, so I gave the therapist a call and booked a session. Once you get past the initial embarrassment, its okay, small talk ensures....and slowly my tummy got easier. I went 3 times in total and I have to say my output became more regular since then. I was advised on a healthy bowel diet and I'm all sorted now.

Dannij
29th May 2017, 18:17
I've looked around for this therapy, there are not many therapists doing this. Are there any risks to your bowel /health in having this treatment?

lifesaball
1st June 2017, 16:34
I can't believe this is a therapy, do people actually go to these places in the same way you have a regular massage?

Why would someone go? What is the reason?

Megan
2nd June 2017, 10:57
I can't believe this is a therapy, do people actually go to these places in the same way you have a regular massage?
Why would someone go? What is the reason?

I can't answer your question as to whether people choose to have a colonic in the same way as they would a massage, but I do know that people often choose to have a colonic if they have a sluggish digestion or suffer from irritable bowel and bloating. Therefore, in this case they often go for mini treatment courses maybe 2-3 times a year to keep themselves feeling healthy and ridding themselves of stagnant debris in the bowel.

Mummy2Two
2nd June 2017, 14:41
Is there such a thing as stagnant debris in the bowel? surely our bodies are made so that they reject everything, it is an amazing detox system, every time you poo (sorry tmi), you clear out your colon taking any bits of debris with it, surely? I cant imagine poo leapfrogging over other bits of poo towards the exit.

over the hill
2nd June 2017, 14:48
I've looked around for this therapy, there are not many therapists doing this. Are there any risks to your bowel /health in having this treatment?

I read that someone became quite ill after having a course of treatments of colonic irrigation. Apparently, she was fine the first few times, making her go back for further treatments, but then on one occasion she fell very ill, it took her a year to recover. It was something to do with potassium and pulling good nutrients out of the body and not replacing the good stuff.

but, lets be honest, you can google any therapy/medication and find someone who has had a reaction to it. I would say, if you are interested, go to a therapist with a good reputation, or better still go from word of mouth.

Jade26
18th June 2017, 05:35
Do you know if the colonic irrigation therapists do the faecal transplants? I've head really good news about this type of therapy.

Louise
1st July 2017, 12:21
Do you know if the colonic irrigation therapists do the faecal transplants? I've head really good news about this type of therapy.

Hi Jade,

I have moved any further replies regarding Faecal transplants to a new thread :encouragement:

GaryFries52
2nd July 2017, 08:17
I've never heard of this can't understand why anyone would consider this a therapy :doh is it preventative or reactive therapy?

Teri23
11th July 2017, 15:01
I've never heard of this can't understand why anyone would consider this a therapy :doh is it preventative or reactive therapy?

It can be both depending on the person and there condition.

You would be surprised by how many people suffer from constipation, it is all down to our poor dietary intake. People don't eat a variety of fruit and veg a day, every day. It might only be once or twice a week, they don't drink enough, move enough etc all of these things lead to sluggish bowels and problems.

If I could afford to go regularly I would make it a tri-annual affair just to keep on top of things, but it is quite expensive.

Linon
31st July 2017, 16:57
I have read this thread with interest, I am really surprised that people have this as a therapy to deal with constipation :doh why don't they just eat a better diet? If there diet is so poor that they have to resort to this type of therapy, wouldn't it make them sit back and question their lifestyle habits?

Jackie361
9th August 2020, 13:14
This is something that in principle sounds great to get rid of all the crap!!! But I just couldn’t stand the process, how embarrassing :disgust:

Louise
9th August 2020, 19:33
This is something that in principle sounds great to get rid of all the crap!!! But I just couldn’t stand the process, how embarrassing :disgust:

Its just poo! You can do this t home, although person;Lu I don’t think I would recommend it, I would always recommend going to a professional for this type of treatment.

Tom32
6th February 2022, 17:54
Colonic irrigation is now said to be helpful in the treatment of irritable Bowel syndrome IBS, often herbs can be added to the water that can calm the bowel. I’m not sure if aloe Vera can be added, but if it can, this may explain why people with IBS get benefit.

Sian
22nd January 2024, 08:27
Colonic irrigation, also known as colon hydrotherapy, is a therapeutic procedure that involves the gentle infusion of warm water into the colon to cleanse and detoxify the digestive system. From a practitioner's perspective, there are several potential benefits associated with colonic irrigation.

Firstly, colonic irrigation can help remove accumulated waste, toxins, and harmful bacteria from the colon. This cleansing process may promote better digestion, improved nutrient absorption, and enhanced overall gut health.

Secondly, practitioners believe that colonic irrigation can help alleviate symptoms of constipation, bloating, and gas. By flushing out stagnant fecal matter and promoting regular bowel movements, it may provide relief and improve bowel regularity.

Additionally, some practitioners suggest that colonic irrigation can support the body's natural detoxification processes. By eliminating toxins and waste, it may enhance liver function and boost the immune system.

Colonic irrigation is thought to promote a sense of well-being and increased energy levels. Some individuals report feeling lighter, more refreshed, and experiencing improved mental clarity after the procedure.