Thread: Insurance and first time drivers

Insurance and first time drivers

Did anyone read in the news this morning about insurance companies thinking of taking a snap shot off Facebook from potential new drivers? This is to decide how much of a risk they are to insure!
    I think this is a dangerous infringement of privacy. Facebook should protect its customers and not allow it.

Not sure how the insurance companies will obtain this info. Will it be from information that people allow public access to, or will the insurance bods have access to locked down accounts where only friends have access to?

The other problem is, people's online persona is often very different from who they actually are in the real world.

I saw this in the news, the thing is, like John B says, people have a pretend persona on FB, plus someone who parties at the weekend, takes a taxi or gets someone to pick them up, may display all the pictures of their fun time. But Monday -Friday they are average housebound Jo blogs.
    I think it is a slippery slope, and another way to justify putting up the prices.

I feel that the insurance companies will go to any length to justify their extortionate prices. I feel so sorry for the first time drivers.
    Looking on Facebook is not an accurate picture of someones life, and certainly a 'snap shot' could relate to anything!

I am looking for a car for my son and I feel so cross that the cost of insurance is so high. I appreciate they are trying to keep younger drivers off the road but penalise them after they make a mistake not before!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I am looking for a car for my son and I feel so cross that the cost of insurance is so high. I appreciate they are trying to keep younger drivers off the road but penalise them after they make a mistake not before!
    I know exactly how that feels! My advice is to go through a comparison site as the costs vary massively

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Is there anyway this cost can be reduced?

Isn’t there a box you can put on a car to limit the driving?