Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by over the hill View Post
    I think my previous posts have been wishful thinking, and to be honest, I think even if there were to be another referendum regarding Brexit, we have to ask the question whether the EU would agree to us staying with them. I'm sure if that were the case we would have a different set of agreements.
    I think that ship has sailed. There is no chance of going back now. The only thing we have to look forward to is what we are left with after the EU make leaving as bloody difficult as possible.

The EU needs to set example for any future countries that may consider leaving. It is not going to be pretty, and the media is going to make everything so much worse.

I think who ever gets in the next government, they need to stand firm on their Brexit ideals, because I think it will be easy to feel bullied by the mighty EU.

What worries me is that all parties have their own idea of what Brexit means, and therein lies the problem of Brexit in general. No one actually knows what Brexit means, because it means something different to every person that voted.

Let's be honest, the campaign and the ballot paper was poor done and in theory should be illegal, as it leaves more questions than it has ever answered. What should have happened was that an initial consultation referendum of in or out, followed by maybe four options of what 'out' should represent. i.e continue with free movement of people, have the common market etc
    But only once clarification with the EU was made on some of the main points. Only then would we have a clearer picture of what it means to the UK.

Votes were made blindly and with hindsight, I don't think the option should ever have been given to us. No one knew what they were really voting for.

I think you have a valid point there Yogi001, I wonder how many people (with hindsight) would have still voted to exit The EU?

Given the complexities, I don't think the referendum should have ever been put on the table in the first place, we are too intertwined in the EU to make coming out such an easy possibility as to offer people a yes or no vote with such scarcity of information.

I'm shocked at how the vote was allowed to stand based on the lies given by politicians to sway a vote. Quite frankly these politicians should be held to account and certainly not be able to hold a position in office again.

We should never have been offered the vote and as we were it should have been carefully worked out, what the implications are to our future and our place in the world. There should have only been facts allowed to be discussed. There should have been a follow-up referendum, once basic agreements were in place. the whole thing is a farce.

I think the Tories will bring us a very hard Brexit and I think labour will bring us a soft Brexit, but I doubt it will be in keeping with the main reason people voted out - immigration.