Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

I have suffered for years with depression, and take the usual concoction of prescription drugs, which are okay, they stable the highs and lows, but tend to leave me feeling numb and flat.

I wonder if it is possible that just like diabetes, dementia, asthma, arthritis etc are linked to food and our environment, it is possible that depression could also be linked?

I suppose what I am asking is, can it be cured by food?

Hi Morris1954,

I am sorry to hear about your depression, hopefully people on here can offer some advice.

Did you see the article on gut bacteria? that might me a place to start.

Blog Entries
    B vitamins are excellent for helping to combat depression. I would have a look at the vitamins which are known to be beneficial mood enhancers, things that affect serotonin and then find the foods that have the highest concentrations. This would be a good way to start building your health back up.

I know this might sound a stupid question, but do you know what the cause is? For example, I did go through a period of mild depression when my weight peaked, and I felt fat, ugly, I was angry with myself for allowing myself to get so big. I was frustrated, unhealthy, unfit and generally miserable. Getting dressed in the morning reminded me first thing I was fat, and last thing at night, getting undressed reminded me I was fat. I started to lose my confidence and wouldn't go out as much.

I felt depressed, but the reality was, I wasn't depressed I was fat. Now I'm on my journey to a better me, the depression is lifting as the weight comes off.

Try doing some soul searching to discover why you are depressed.

Depression is such a terrible disorder, it is a whole for those that suffer and frustrating for those that don't. I have been fortunate, not to suffer from depression, but I have watched family members suffer for years. What have I learnt from all of those years? Well, I have learnt that doctors don't know what to do with depression and I know that medication does not work.

Mainstream medicine seems to throw everyone into one pot and diagnose everyone with depression with further investigation as to an underlying cause.

I went to my GP after my home and work life fell apart, the causes of my misery were obvious, and I was feeling overwhelmed by the circumstances. My GP instantly went for the prescription pad for antidepressants, which I refused. I wasn't depressed I was just was struggling to spin life's plates, I needed advice, a helping hand in life, some focus, anything but tablets.

Morris1954 don't rush to come off your tablets, but look for some alternatives to help lift your mood naturally.
    Use this forum for a place to talk to people.

Everyone seems depressed now-a-days. Is it a genuine problem, or just a phrase that everyone uses?
    I do think that the doctors dish out anti-dress ants like sweets and are they really making a difference? Why is the cause never looked into?

Blog Entries
    Hi, I have just posted an article from TEDx Talks on depression, check it out. Further articles are due to be posted on the link between depression and nutrition.

https://www.organicallypure.co.uk/fo...lness-Mealtime

I saw that article, it's very interesting. But, it seems that everything is bad for you, how do you know who is telling you the truth?
    Surely, if it was as simple as diet the doctors would tell us. Everything cant be diet related.

Blog Entries
    Magnesium can help improve mood and give us energy. It produces and supports the brain chemical serotonin.
    Magnesium is also excellent at helping the muscle to relax.

The article on depression was interesting. What I don't understand is why, when there is a known connection between depression and food, why doctors instantly offer ani-depressants rather than offering dietary advice, or referral you to clinics where food/diet is discussed.