Thread: Alternative camping

Alternative camping

Hi, I do enjoy camping, it makes me feel like a child again. But, lying on the floor with a camping mattress leaves me aching and feeling my age. I saw this and thought it looks the perfect alternative to the usual tent. Anyone tried one?

Hi Daisy,

Yes we have one. Ours is a Maggiolina Safari, the original roof top tent

They are great if you venture into the wilds and want the safety of being off the ground.

The one you have found seems to be an extended version of what we have, if you need the extra room that is great but if you don't plant on spending much time up there other than sleeping, my advice to you would be to keep it simple. More moving parts means more to possible go wrong.

The other thing I like about ours is it is a wind up version, the one you show has gas struts. Whilst gas struts are great for getting the tent up, they can become a pain when taking it down as you can end up fighting against them.

Hope this helps.

I've just found the price of these....$3,900!!! Can these go on any car, or do you have to have a 4x4?

Thanks for the advice about the gas struts Paul, I should imagine it's like trying to push a chair down with your hand... A lot of hard work.