Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss clubs

I think the idea of the club is that you can help and support one another. Share tips and advice. I don't think it is for everyone, but they have been around for many years, which attests to their success.

There is a great deal in variation between the clubs, some follow a more restrictive diet with 'sins', while others enough a greater emphasis on loading up on vegetables.

I think they are much better than they used to be. I would like to see more of an emphasis on meal preparation and less on the reliance of processed food.

I was talking about this very subject today, it seems there are some very good clubs that have a focus on whole food and cooking from scratch. But there are some clubs that don't really emphasise whole food, rather low calorie, low fat food.

There is loads of research that suggests that this approach is unhealthy and often results in a lot of processed food. Surely this is neither responsible dieting or leadership. There should be more emphasis on breaking the habit, finding the cause, preparing food and planning ahead.

Surely, anywhere that offers support to people and help them stay motivated is good and beneficial for the people attending.
    Some people can do things easily alone, while other people need the support of others around them to keep them focused and accountable.

I do not deny that the concept of the clubs is good and suits some people very well, I do have concerns that they do not teach people how to eat healthily. By this I mean, that you can not eat chips and fried fish, creamy pasta dishes etc and expect to stay healthy. Here is an example from a slimming club site of their 1 week menu.

http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/healt...rian-menu.aspx

I went to a couple of weightloss clubs, and I lost varying amounts of weight, personally it wasn't for me. It seemed that most of the time is spent chatting to others in the club while people came in and got weighed. Then there was a brief presentation about what foods you could swap to save calories or sins or sugar etc. But there was no real education. I don't think I ever learnt anything about nutrition.

Having recently become a ‘scale jumper’ I have to say my weight fluctuates to an unbelievable amount thoughout the day and varies from day to day, without any change in my diet. AND before you say it, I know it is a tad obsessive to jump on the scales multiple times a day, but I was curious what my weight was pre and post work out, and the scales swing massively.

So, taking all of my research into account, surely it is not a good guide to attend one meeting a week, jump on the scales and be judged for good or bad based on that one scale reading. Taking this into account, what is the real point of these clubs? Is it to get diet advice?

Save your money and use the internet!

I don’t think it is so much about the weigh-in, it is more about the group support. The weigh-in will show a weightloss over a week, even if the weightloss potentially was better or worse, it would still show a trend of going down.

I did have a little chuckle to myself the other day.....

I overheard a conversation between two people at lunch discussing their diet club....

1) I’d love to have butter on my bread (she was eating dry bread with her soup)

2) you can’t have that, it’s too many points, why don’t you try a cheese triangle, they are free...

I couldn’t help but interject in the conversation...

Me) Are you telling me the club promotes plastic, no nutrition food? Overweight people are often nutritionally compromised and plastic food is an endocrine disrupter which will affect you hormones, and promote fat accumulation.

They both just looked at me blankly, like I didn’t get that ‘butter’ was a sin.

How can these clubs be helping people? Cheese triangles is not food and should not be labelled as such.

I have worked with people who go to diet clubs and every week they declare a loss of half a pound or a gain of a pound and then they lose a lot of weight and low and behold put it all back on again! It seems to me that too much emphasis is put on the food and you become obsessed and think about it more than you would normally. It’s a money making con that only works long term for the minority!