Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five a day

I'd be interested to know what is classed as 'poorer families', I don't earn a great income and have a growing family. I choose my food shopping wisely, and ensure that good nutrition is my priority.

The article suggests that vegetables are three times more expensive than processed foods, but these foods fill people up for longer, which means an overall reduction in food.
    If I gave my children a pizza for tea, they would be hungry 2 - 3 hours later. But if I gave them mash, peas, carrots and sausages they would stay fuller for longer.
    The problem with processed food is that it is not satisfying, leading kids to pester for more food or pick on junk.

I agree with you whole heartedly Sophie, five-a-day was a recommendation based on the health benefits. All families should aim to strive for these recommendations. Like most of us, some days you can equal it, beat it or not not achieve it.

I think there are a very, very small number of people/families who couldn't generally afford to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day.
    Most people, if they giggled their shopping priorities around could afford it.

Don't poor families claim money off the state to bring their earnings in line with take home pay of minimum wage?

Dale42,

There is money available off the state, but that doesn't mean people have available money. Most people live to their means, so excess money is not normally an option. Also, I don't believe the minimum way is that great!

Did you see this one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38092146

Now there is a suggestion that the low socioeconomic group are at a higher risk of a low immune system, putting them at greater risk of chronic health conditions.
    The BBC fails to make the connection between the lack of nutrition (fruits and vegetables) in their diets and immune system function.
    Maybe the G.P's should get back on their soap box after all!

Quote Originally Posted by J-jay View Post
    Did you see this one? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38092146

Now there is a suggestion that the low socioeconomic group are at a higher risk of a low immune system, putting them at greater risk of chronic health conditions.
    The BBC fails to make the connection between the lack of nutrition (fruits and vegetables) in their diets and immune system function.
    Maybe the G.P's should get back on their soap box after all!
    This was based on monkeys wasn't it?

To be fair, when we switched to a healthier way of living our food bill went up quite considerably.

At first we went mad with all the exotic fruits and vegs trying to maximise our nutrient intake, but very quickly we realised we couldn't afford to maintain that level, so cut our cloth accordingly. we now stick to more 'basic' fruit and veg with the occasional treat of more exotic fruits.