Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you getting enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale42 View Post
    I thought sleep was crucial because it helps detoxify us
    I'm not sure that sleep detoxifies the body, I think that the brain detoxifies when we are asleep, a bit like rebooting your computer. I think that is why when people lack sleep, they start to hallucinate and eventually go mad.

I find that if I have too much sleep I feel groggy all day, and too little sleep I feel hungover. 8 hours seems to be about right, well for me anyway.

Is it right too little sleep puts you at greater risk of death?

Lack of sleep can put you at risk of all the major contributors of death, including heart disease, stroke, obesity and depression.

Surely it is more important to get quality, resorative sleep than many hours of crap sleep? You can have the perfect number of hours in bed, but if they are poor quality, broken hours then this alone would be detrimental to health, rather than 5-6 hours of deep, detoxifying sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Surely it is more important to get quality, resorative sleep than many hours of crap sleep? You can have the perfect number of hours in bed, but if they are poor quality, broken hours then this alone would be detrimental to health, rather than 5-6 hours of deep, detoxifying sleep.
    I agree with you, the quality of the sleep is far more important than the number of hours obtained.