Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sugar Tax

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Why is it taking so long to introduce the sugar tax? When they do the budget the tax on fuel goes on almost immediately, why wait?
    I agree, they don't hesitate to put tax up on alcohol, fuel and cigarettes on budget day.

The government do not want to upset the big corporations, so giving them plenty of time to make changes.

I hope you don't mind me sharing I came across this article on the Mercola site linking high intakes of sugar intake and Alzheimer's, which may explain the rise in this neurological condition. Long term, high intakes of sugar can lead to brain shrinkage, what is so surprising is that parents have been giving their children fizzy drinks from such a young age, more so than was seen during my childhood.

It begs the question what will the rise of Alzheimer's be like in the next 40 years.... frightening!

Sugar has long been known to cause many health conditions, it comes as no surprise we are seeing an increase in Alzheimer's, dementia, depression etc you have to wonder what is in our food, and why do we not demand better, more affordable healthier food.

I think you are right to wonder what the next 40 years will show with the health of our children.
    Last edited by Mummy2Two; 2nd June 2017 at 14:24.

I came across this TED talk by Calgary Avansino, she brilliantly highlights the hidden sugars in our daily foods. It is recommended that adults only consume 7 teaspoons of sugar a day, that would mean that by consuming one small can of tomato soup and two small pots of Petit filous you would have exceeded your daily requirement of sugar
    Even worse, 1 bottle of fruit flavoured water exceeds the daily recommended sugar intake for an adult!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2Two View Post
    I came across this TED talk by Calgary Avansino, she brilliantly highlights the hidden sugars in our daily foods. It is recommended that adults only consume 7 teaspoons of sugar a day, that would mean that by consuming one small can of tomato soup and two small pots of Petit filous you would have exceeded your daily requirement of sugar
    Even worse, 1 bottle of fruit flavoured water exceeds the daily recommended sugar intake for an adult!
    This is a great video, thanks for sharing.
    I have to say, i'm really surprised at the fact that flavoured water has so much sugar, would this come under the new sugar tax rules I wonder?

Blog Entries
    A great reminder on the hidden sugars in our foods. I like the recommendation to think in terms of spoons of sugar rather than grams.
    The suggestion being to divide the grams by 4 to give you the sugar content in spoonfuls, for example:

16gms divide by 4 = 4 spoonfuls

I think this is a good visual way to become aware of the sugar in our food.

How are companies allowed to sell a drink aimed at the health market knowing that it is loaded with sugar? Disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    How are companies allowed to sell a drink aimed at the health market knowing that it is loaded with sugar? Disgusting!
    because there is no regulation and there is money to be made. Plus there is a lot of 'back-handers' that go on in government.