Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New year, new me!

I think too many people are quick to over look the importance of the weightloss journey, or any journey for that matter. It is the journey that shapes us, not the goal. The journey makes the goal worth having and more likely to keep.

Enjoy the difficulties of the weightloss, they are like mini tests to overcome and change the person you were to the person you want to be.

Starting a new diet is the worst thing anyone can do. Does anyone start a processed, junk food diet? No!

When choosing to change your diet to a more healthier version, should be considered just that, a change in diet. Along with any change in life there is always a transition period. During this time there will be testing and easy times, just as there are in everyday of life, the transition allows you to kick old habits and learn new ones.
    when poor decisions are made, don't consider it 'falling off' or 'failing' think of them as opportunities to learn why you made the choices you made and how can you prevent yourself making those same mistakes again.

If, when you make a poor choice and then go on to use it to make poor food choices for the rest of the day/week/month, then in reality you are not ready to change or committed enough to yourself to make a positive impact.
    If this is the case, wait until you are ready, when you really want to change, otherwise you will keep considering yourself as a failure and relate dieting as a bad experience.

As far as motivation goes, when you really want something and have put in place the right mindset, your change in body, weight and energy will offer you all the motivation you need. It's all in the mind.

Well, 2017 has been a slow re-birth for me, honestly not the one I intended and the journey has been hit by many set backs of my own making. I think what it has shown me is that I am an addict.

Food addiction is a real tough cookie to crack, I find myself craving food and unable to maintain changes for the long term. Transitioning from junk food to an all whole food diet has been a difficult one. My body craves the rubbish when I'm tired, hungry, feeling stressed, low in mood, cold, happy and just about everything in between.

What I have learnt about myself is how I have emphasised food and it's relation to my moods and experiences in life. For example, if I am happy, 'let's celebrate with food' if I'm sad l'll comfort myself with food, the more I have analysed my reaction to the things in my life I have realised food takes centre stage. NOT GOOD.

So this is where I start from....again.

This is a very honest account John B, and something I'm sure most of us can relate to in our own lives. Food is the center of most of what we do, and sadly that food is often the bad type, the type that makes us feel better, whilst doing the exact opposite.

I think by the simple fact you have recognised that about yourself means you have come far in your journey, it means that you can start to make the changes needed and prepare for those times you have identified. Half the battle of weightloss is understanding ourselves and how we got to where we are....this means you are half way there...keep going

It sounds like you have made a massive shift in your conscious John B, this is all part of your transistion, it happens in the right way for each one of us, the journey is unique to us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    It sounds like you have made a massive shift in your conscious John B, this is all part of your transistion, it happens in the right way for each one of us, the journey is unique to us all.
    I agree with Esme, you're not trying to go on a diet, you are trying to change your fundamental beliefs on your food and how you cope with your emotions. That doesn't happen overnight and there will be setbacks along the way, but keep sticking to it, imagine yourself at the end of the journey, who is that person? what does he look like?

I recognise my ways, but usually after the event, rarely at the time. I seem to struggle to assess my actions at the time and make the necessary changes.

I'm guessing that is something I need to work on.