Thread: Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

Bursitis a symptom of fibromyalgia?

I've had bilateral trochanteric bursitis for over two years now and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in March last year. I recently saw a rheumatologist about the bursitis and he told me that he considers that it isn't a separate complaint, but part of fibromyalgia. He advised me to use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory gel on my hips - something like IBuleve. This has done absolutely nothing. In the copy letter to my GP, the rheumatologist wrote that there was nothing more that rheumatology could offer, but the GP may want to refer me to the pain management clinic.

I've had four steroid injections into the worst hip, but only one worked and that was when a different rheumatologist used Marcaine, which I believe is a type of nerve block.

Have others have been told that bursitis is not a separate entity, but part of fibromyalgia? I've never been to a pain management clinic before. Have others found it helpful?

Bursitis can happen to any joints in your body but the ones which often generate much movement repetitively are more vulnerable. How about you trying out cold compress? I found some home remedies here https://authorityremedies.com/home-r...-for-bursitis/.
    It indicated that cold compress is being placed in the first rank of home remedies for bursitis, the coldness will help you alleviate the swelling as well as pain by numbing the areas affected. Also it can be effective at decreasing inflammation and tenderness. You can use a thin towel to wrap few ice cubes. Then apply the ice pack onto the joint. After 15 minutes, discard the ice pack and keep the joint above the heart. Rest and perform again for couples of time until the symptoms are relieved. Please note that you need to avoid applying ice directly onto the skin which can inflict frostbite.
    Please let me know If this tip helped

Hi Emily,

This sounds very painful, and i'm sorry to hear you are going through this type of pain.
    I do not think that bursitis is uniquely linked to fibromyalgia. As Lucymc says, it can be linked to any joints in the body and commonly the hips as this area generates a great deal of movement.

A combination of Ice and heat is recommended for persistent bursitis pain. also, try adding anti-inflammatory foods into your diet as well as turmeric which is excellent for reducing inflammation and pain... add freely to foods.
    Last edited by Dannij; 17th May 2017 at 14:43.