Thread: Where do you get your motivation from?

Blog Entries

Where do you get your motivation from?

Half the battle of weightloss is staying motivated during the times when the scales don't move.

Motivation is the key to keep you focused and on track, so what keeps you motivated during the difficult times on your weight loss journey?

This question can be generalised to any journey. I think the most important thing is keeping the goal in sight. Make sure the journey is interesting, that way you are more likely to engage.

I think it is important to set small achievable goals, and reward yourself when you achieve them. That way you feel like you are getting somewhere and start to enjoy the 'journey' a bit more.

Personally, I use role models. For example athletes, whether they be swimmers, cyclists, runners etc

I use these, because the images in magazines or male and female models are not real and therefore often unattainable. If I used those images as my goal, I'm setting myself up to fail.

...and yes, men do feel the pressure of the ripped abs and toned, muscle men found in magazines.

Sophie's picture is motivation enough for me! Its hard isn't it? things during our day cause us to weaken our will power and turn to old habits, because that's what we know. For me, it is not so much a motivation tool, rather a way of keeping myself in check.

If I've had a crappy day, my immediate reaction is to turn to comfort foods, because that's what I've always done. So, when I feel those moments come over me, I recognise them and remind myself that that is not who I am now, or that those habits resulted in X, Y and Z.

I also try and make sure there is always something quick and healthy in the house, because if you are going to blow your diet it is better to do it on things that will benefit your body, rather than deplete you of nutrients.

Music is a good motivator and a picture of someone that you aspire to look like