Thread: Breakfast oats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Breakfast oats

Sweet Beet overnight oats

Let be start by saying this recipe is one I use from Ella Woodward, I find it brightens my morning due to its colour and deliciousness, and I feel angelic because I know that I have eaten vegetable for breakfast

1 Small beetroot
    1 Apple
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 tablespoon of almond butter
    1 banana
    140g rolled oats
    2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
    2 tablespoons chia seeds

Preheat the oven to 220 C (fan 200 C), then place the beetroot in a baking tray and cook for 1 hour, until the skin can be easily removed. (Cheat - Buy precooked, go straight to the next step)

Once the beetroot has cooled, peel the skin off discard it and place beetroot in a blender. Peel and core the apple, chop into smaller pieces and add to the blender.

Add 200 mls water, maple syrup, almond butter and banana to the blender and blend for 30 seconds, or until the mix is smooth.

Pour your oats into 2 of your presentation containers (bowls, jars, large glass etc), then pour half of the blended mixture over each. Add the hemp and chia seeds to both containers and mix well.

Cover the containers and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight.

Serve at room temperature and garnish with nuts, seeds and berries

I personally don't like cold porridge, so have mine warmed. I got it out of her 'Every day' cook book.

You can warm this up in the morning; just heat up in the microwave, or on the hob. It is delicious with a swirl of honey and some seeds.

Beetroot can be quite earthy in taste, is this noticeable in the porridge?