Thread: Article: Gene Therapy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Article: Gene Therapy

Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

Don't you think this type of testing has the potential to be harmful in the wrong hands? For example, if the tests reveal that an individual has the potential to get dementia, what support is there for the individual? If they have fixation issues this kind of info could send them a bit mental.

Surely an individual should make that decision for themselves. If you are the type of person that may fixate on bad stuff to the detriment of your health, then you shouldn't go for this type of therapy.

But think of all the amazing things this therapy can do for you. If you lack the ability to easily absorb vitamin b, then taking your usual amount may be a waste of time and money, but having that information means you can increase the amount of vitamin b you consume, means you may absorb enough to keep you healthy.

If your genetics says you benefit from weight training and not cardiovascular then it enables you to target your exercise to benefit you the most.

I think it has loads of potential in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison66 View Post
    Surely an individual should make that decision for themselves. If you are the type of person that may fixate on bad stuff to the detriment of your health, then you shouldn't go for this type of therapy.

You would be surprised how stupid people can be, plus, by nature we are curious. where is the support for those people that find out they have a high risk of developing a particular type of cancer?

But think of all the amazing things this therapy can do for you. If you lack the ability to easily absorb vitamin b, then taking your usual amount may be a waste of time and money, but having that information means you can increase the amount of vitamin b you consume, means you may absorb enough to keep you healthy.

Great! but is it that specific? I think it is more likely to tell you that you have a high risk of developing early onset dementia, of liver cancer. What then? what does the individual do about that info? Do they start making life decisions based on the tragedy of their results?

If your genetics says you benefit from weight training and not cardiovascular then it enables you to target your exercise to benefit you the most.

I think it has loads of potential in the right hands.

I think you are right, it does have lots of potential in the right hands, but who decides whose hands they are? and is there support for the individual to know what they can do to reduce their risk?

I have to agree with Guv-ner, there is a potential for this to cause the wrong type of people stress and fixation.
    Although, I think gene therapy is a great opportunity for those people able to access support for the results.

It is something I would consider, but I wouldn't do it lightly, I would seriously consider if I could cope with the results.

This seems to be an emerging science and possibly the future in preventative healthcare for the fitness person.
    I feel like most people, I would have it done, but I'm not sure the results of diseases and cancers. I'm not I could handle those types of results, ultimately what can you do about them?
    Eat healthy, exercise? Let's be honest anyone paying £150-£300 are generally healthly eating, fitness people anyway.

I would consider it