Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berkey water filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Berkey water filter

Has anyone got, or used a Berkey water filter?

I'm thinking of investing in one, but would like to speak to someone who has one.

I currently have a Britta water jug, but would like something better.

I've just googled it, it is a beast of a water filter, how much water do you drink?
    I have to say it's very interesting, and I too will be keen to hear if anyone has used it. Does it filter out Flouride?

No, I have the Britta filter jug, why would you be considering paying for the Berkey? What does it give you that Britta doesn't?

I have one, it the small travel one. I wish I have invested in the bigger one (hindsight is a great thing), it is a lot of money to initially pay out, but the filter last for years and years, I think about 10 or 11 years.

If you compare that to the cost of replacing Britta Filter, it may be the same or slightly better taking into account overall cost. But I think the Berkey filters out a lot more rubbish from the water, making it more of a water purifier than a filter.

You can buy a separate filter for fluoride. I would recommend it, its built well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi001 View Post
    I have one, it the small travel one. I wish I have invested in the bigger one (hindsight is a great thing), it is a lot of money to initially pay out, but the filter last for years and years, I think about 10 or 11 years.

If you compare that to the cost of replacing Britta Filter, it may be the same or slightly better taking into account overall cost. But I think the Berkey filters out a lot more rubbish from the water, making it more of a water purifier than a filter.

You can buy a separate filter for fluoride. I would recommend it, its built well too.
    Does the water taste better than other water filters?

Quote Originally Posted by guv-ner View Post
    Does the water taste better than other water filters?
    I think so, it tastes purer and smoother, like velvet. you really notice the difference when you drink tap water,

Yes, you can buy the fluoride filters separately, they work out to be about £65 a year ( the filter lasts about 12 months)

Yes, you can buy the fluoride filters separately, they work out to be about £65 a year ( the filter lasts about 12 months)
    That works out to be quite expensive to get rid of one of the most common contaminants, my Britta jug does that, for a lot less money.

This is quite an impressive kit, although the price is quite high. plus where do you put it in the kitchen?

Surely you have to eat very, very 'clean' in order to justify buying one of these. Because all the good you are doing, gets crossed out by eating any processed or sprayed food.