Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sun tan, cancer protecting cream

A sun tan, cancer protecting cream

I read about this new cream, currently being tested to give the wearer a tan without the need for sun. It works by triggering the body's natural melanin response to sun. It is said that it may help to prevent skin cancer.
    Skin cancer is said to be dramatically rising in recent times.

Is this a good way of combating skin cancer while getting a tan?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40260029

Blog Entries

A sun tan, cancer protecting cream

So why is skin cancer on the rise all of a sudden? The sun has been with us since the birth of time, surely we have evolved with it?
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    So why is skin cancer on the rise all of a sudden? The sun has been with us since the birth of time, surely we have evolved with it?
    I read that is was due to the increase in people using sun beds.

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    I read that is was due to the increase in people using sun beds.
    What! I think that was way back in the 90's, but who uses a sun bed now? I'm not sure I believe those statistics.

Is it possible the increase of suntan cream use is a possible factor? After all it is a chemical.

It would be interesting to see if the trend of increasing skin cancer mirrors the use of sunscreen.

I found this from the institute of natural healing.

The first tanning lotions were introduced around 1930. The goal was to allow you to stay in the sun longer without burning. A few years later, the melanoma rate began to rise. By the 1960s there were dozens of tanning lotions on the market. Melanoma rates continued to rise.
    As the rates of skin cancer increased, it became news. And the makers of tanning lotions saw an opportunity. They repositioned their products as “sunscreen.” After that, the sales of sunscreen continued to climb… along with the rates of melanoma.1 In fact, the per capita melanoma rate has increased 1,800 percent since the first commercial sunscreens were introduced.

Could it be that the use of sun cream has resulted in people allowing themselves to be exposed to the sun for longer than they would had there been no protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I found this from the institute of natural healing.

The first tanning lotions were introduced around 1930. The goal was to allow you to stay in the sun longer without burning. A few years later, the melanoma rate began to rise. By the 1960s there were dozens of tanning lotions on the market. Melanoma rates continued to rise.
    As the rates of skin cancer increased, it became news. And the makers of tanning lotions saw an opportunity. They repositioned their products as “sunscreen.” After that, the sales of sunscreen continued to climb… along with the rates of melanoma.1 In fact, the per capita melanoma rate has increased 1,800 percent since the first commercial sunscreens were introduced.
    Thanks Jake, that's very interesting and fits in with something I have read before.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Could it be that the use of sun cream has resulted in people allowing themselves to be exposed to the sun for longer than they would had there been no protection?
    There is that, but isn't the cream supposed to protect you form the damaging effects of rays?

Most people don't actually follow the recommendations of how much cream should be applied, people put it on quite thinly, but it is supposed to be put on quite thick.