Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sun tan, cancer protecting cream

Quote Originally Posted by J-jay View Post
    Most people don't actually follow the recommendations of how much cream should be applied, people put it on quite thinly, but it is supposed to be put on quite thick.
    Maybe this is why cancer is on the rise, because you are not actually fully protected due to misuse of the cream

Slathering your skin in toxic chemicals and then heating them up in the sun....what can go wrong?

I don't use cream for this very reason, I prefer to expose my skin to the sun naturally, not lie in it, but move around in it. You are less likely to get burnt and you won't over expose yourself when you have no cream on.

Plus, humans evolved outdoors, our bodies built in a natural protector in the form of melanin. I think there is more to the skin cancer rise than we are led to believe.

It is a difficult one to call, because the sudden increase in skin cancer came at a time when sun screen became available and popular. But as a result of the availability of the cream people spent more time exposing their skin in the suns rays.

Thought this was interesting....

FACT: Sunscreen takes about an hour to really absorb into your skin. While it will still make a large difference, you won’t have total protection until it has been absorbed. Slathering it on one an hour, while in the sun, is highly recommended. One application won’t give you infinite protection, as anyone who has received a bad burn even with sunscreen will tell you. Make sure to choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen, especially if you have fair skin. SPF only rates protection against UVB rays but UVA rays are also harmful. A broad-spectrum protection in your sunscreen protects against both types.

I think people have become scared of the sun and cover their children up so much that they are at risk of becoming deficient in vitamin D

Surely if UV rays were that bad we would be burdened by skin cancer on our face and hands. These areas are constantly exposed to daylight, yet somehow our skin copes! I think there may be an element of scaremongering going on.