Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein / health bar

Protein / health bar

My war of keeping fit is through cross-fit, this involves weight lifting and circuits, it is all about strength. I like to eat a protein/health bar as a snack.

I found that a lot of the 'health bars' available contain a lot of sugar. Can anyone recommend healthier versions?

A lot of the shop bought, so called 'health bars' are packed with sugar. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG_1174.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.2 KB Hi Jake, why don't you consider making your own? You could Taylor the ingredients to your own nutritional requirements and taste. This way you know exactly what is in them, ensuring they are the healthiest bars around.

This picture is from 'Plant Bites'. Based in Shropshire.

Personally I like the Nakd range, because the ingredients in them are simple, natural and they do not contain anything other than natural products. They are small and are suitable for ending that sweet craving moment. I don't think they are suitable as a meal replacement.

Trek are also made by the same company, they are not made as simply as their counterpart, but they do contain 10g protein.

These two are probably some of the best, most natural products on the market in terms of health bars.

Try this recipe, the cacao is optional, or you can swap with another powder of your choice.

Serves: 6-8
    Ingredients
    • ½ cup pumpkin seeds
    • ¼ cup hemp seeds
    • ¼ cup sunflower seeds
    • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
    • ¼ cup rolled oats
    • 2 tablespoons goji berries
    • 9 Medjool dates
    • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
    • 2 tablespoons cacao powder

Instructions
    1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and begin to chop slowly. Increase the speed as you begin to notice the ingredients mixing together.
    2. Once the ingredients are mixed together, remove from the food processor, and place into an 8x8 dish which is lined with grease proof paper. Make sure to press down with your spoon or spatula to create a large, compact square.
    3. Place in the refrigerator for roughly 1-3 hours before cutting into squares. Enjoy

I understood that these bars are full of sugar and should be avoided at all costs. Why would you need to eat one?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudetteBenner View Post
    I understood that these bars are full of sugar and should be avoided at all costs. Why would you need to eat one?
    Some people eat them as a snack on the go, as a replacement meal, or to get hem through until the next meal. I think if you choose wisely, or better yet make your own, they are a good option for a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudetteBenner View Post
    I think the problem is that anything with dried fruit in is classed as being packed with sugar, which in lots of ways it is, the the sugar is a concentrated form of fruit sugar and not a refined sugar. I don't think they should be eaten freely, but as part of a daily meal plan they can be beneficial, if they are packed with nuts and seeds then all the better.

Have you tried Naked bars?

Naked are offering you 9 of their bars for £6.00 if you use the code 'Nature', its a great saving and gives the opportunity to try lots of different flavours for a fraction of the normal cost.

Here is a link, the price alters at the checkout https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.u...medium=display

There is a huge range of 'health bars' in the stores now, many of which do not represent health in any way. In fact, I know this is going off the subject a bit, but I find it disturbing that manufacturers are jumping on the health food bandwagon, which is actually doing harm to the true message of healthy eating and ultimately replacing a sinister looking toxin for an angelic looking toxin. A practice I find quite underhand.