Thread: Herbal medicine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Herbal medicine

I read that 80% of the worlds population presently use Herbal medicine as their primary healthcare, that's about 4 billion people.

So why does it seem such a weird concept in this country?

When I first read that I thought, No!

Then I thought about China and India, both with huge populations, and probably a healthier population. It is a great statistic, but the reason why it is laughed at here, (natural medicine, not the statistic) is because we have sold our soul to big pharma and we believe everything they say.

A lot of the other countries have embraced modern medicine to use as a adjunct along side ancient, more traditional medicines. But they haven't got rid of their traditions in favour of modern medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    A lot of the other countries have embraced modern medicine to use as a adjunct along side ancient, more traditional medicines. But they haven't got rid of their traditions in favour of modern medicine.
    You forgot....Yet

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    I think this is they way it should be.

I believe there is a lot of good medicine in big pharma, but I do think we have an over reliance on it as a first line of treatment. Traditional medicines tend to be used in the mainstream as preventative medicine.

I like the idea of a choice of both, but it would be nice to see the medical profession integrate traditional medicines more.

Quote Originally Posted by love2shop View Post
    I read that 80% of the worlds population presently use Herbal medicine as their primary healthcare, that's about 4 billion people.

So why does it seem such a weird concept in this country?
    Because it is generally unlicensed and there is little research to back up the claims. Then the public are told there is no research to back up the claims and so we are made to think it quackery. What they don't tell you is that no money has been put into research. It is not that the herbs don't work, it is the fact they haven't tested them to prove they do or don't work.

Just because a population is big, doesn't mean it is healthy though. It doesn't prove that herbal medicine is any more beneficial than modern medicine.

I always head for the health food shop to cure my ailments before attending the doctors, it's a shame more people don't have a similar attitude and take responsibility for their own health.

Herbal remedies come in all shapes and sizes and I think they come into their own and preventing illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Christiane View Post
    I think they come into their own and preventing illness.
    I agree with this, I think herbal medicine is good at keeping you healthy. But I do believe herbal medicine should come as an accompaniment to a healthy diet and lifestyle, not a replacement for it.