Thread: The Brexit talks Begin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Brexit talks Begin

So the talks have begun, and we have agreed to allow EU people who have resided here for 5 years and over the same rights as U.K. Residents. Nothing has been reported on the UK residents living in the EU.

I'm surprised we are being updated as the talks go along. I expected we would be updated at the end of all of the talks once the ink was dry, as so to speak.

I find myself cringing every time I see the UK trying to negotiate anything, we must be a laughing stock in Europe.

What I will say is that I think that poor Teresa May is taking the full brunt of all of our decisions and having to try a cobble something together when her back is quite literally up against the wall. I think we should get off her case and actually start backing her. We put her in this situation and now typically with the British we now want to knock her every move. What she is doing is unprecedented. Give her a break and let's start showing a united front.

If these beginning talks are anything to go by, this Brexit is going to be a disaster. From what little I have read, It seems that the EU 27 member states are going to dictate how Brexit will look. They will get their own way through bullying, soundbites and underhand tactics.

What we will have when we finally come out will be a Poor mans EU, we will still be dictated to in some way by EU law, still have no control over the movement of people and in some way we will have all the worse bits of the EU and none of the benefits. WHY do I think this? because there is a push for a 'soft Brexit' (what ever that really means), which suggests staying in the single market. In order to stay in the single market we HAVE to accept the terms set out by the EU, which includes free movement of people.

Isn't this what the people voted against? I say we do a complete U-turn, stay in the EU and pretend all of this never happened. If we don't, we WILL be worse off, The EU will ensure we are.

I have to agree with you Caree, I think the EU will control and dictate the rules of the Brexit, which seems to fly in the face of what the public wanted. We wanted to be independent and free of the Union, however it seems that will not be the case, This is a divorce with many children involved, we will always be connected by the EU and they will always have us by the scruff of the collar.

I read with interest that the Co-Chair of Vote Leave Gisela Stuart has NOW come out and criticised the decision of the referendum and how it was called. I absolutely agree with what she says, but find myself wondering WHY she didn't say at the time of campaigning that the referendum was 'an abuse of democratic process'. She openly admits that there has not been anyone accountable for the outcome.

An outcome that in my opinion should be scrapped on the basis of an unfair, untruthful campaign that has led a nation into very dangerous waters.

I'm really perplexed by how the Brexit talks are going, albeit it is early days. May has presented what seems to be an acceptable deal for EU citizens to remain in the UK, be treated and accepted as UK citizens, get all the benefits and live under our laws. But the EU say that's not good enough. So, where does that leave us? Do we say, well tough! That's all we are offering or do the EU keep bullying until they get what they want? Teresa May keeps saying this is the deal we've struck, but the EU say it's a first step.

I'm confused as to whether the agreement has been done, or whether it is still ongoing, if that is the case should Teresa May saying it's a done deal?

Our parliament are making a mockery of us throughout the world. There are spreading such doubt and confusion about a way forward, or even if there is a way forward!

The European government are constantly suggesting that we are only in for doom and gloom and that they will personally make sure that there won't be a good outcome for the UK.

The Prime Minister keeps saying, this is what you voted for... your having it come what may! While the people keep saying well, we didn't actually know what we were voting for... can we reconsider. May seem to forget that roughly only half of the population voted out, and of those people some would (given the opportunity) would make a U-Turn.

Why doesn't she listen and offer a new referendum?

I am fed up of the whole thing, it is a utter disaster of catastrophic proportions, that no one seems accountable for. I do not understand why we allow a bunch of people to get into parliament and give them free reign on all matters relating to our lives. Why are they not accountable to the people throughout their time in parliament? it seems abhorrent that a decision is made to give away £1.5 billion of tax payers money to a cause that no one would have voted for. I they are not made to account for their actions. that money should have come out of Conservative coffers as it was used to bolster the conservative party and nothing more.

As far as Brexit is concerned, I wish it would all just go away. But failing that I believe strongly that it should be a cross party approach and not a one party Utopian view of how the future should look.

I see Tony Blair keeps popping up like a meerkat ready to jump in when it all goes tits up! He is convinced that Brexit won't happen, which personally I hope it doesn't, but with the conservatives at the helm there is no going back and I think that the damage has already been done, it may be too late to change course now anyway.