Thread: Strengthen you cycle muscles

Strengthen you cycle muscles

I recently dusted off my bike and hit the country roads, which was great providing I was going down hill or on the flat, but I noticed how weak my muscles are when cycling uphill.

Can anyone suggest any exercises I can do to help strengthen my uphill muscles? (If there is such a thing)

Would squats help? Or lunges? They seem quite popular leg exercises.

Surely, all you have to do is just keep cycling and eventually your muscles will build up, all the appropriate ones for the sport you do.

Blog Entries
    I found this diagram, it may help by highlighting the muscles used when cycling. Then you can build an exercise program around those muscles you feel are the most weak ones.

This is an interesting diagram, I always thought the upward (6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) position as being a passive movement.

I think the first thing to consider is your saddle height. Is it too high or too low? In either scenario you are going to be using muscles that you possibly haven't used for a long time. I'd start with your saddle and then go from there.

In terms of exercises: I'm a staunch advocate of spending time on the bike. Whilst standalone exercises can useful for adding muscle mass/strength, the only way you can strengthen the muscles used for cycling is from being on the bike.

Squats are useful as are calf tiptoes. The most important off the bike activity is concentrating on your core. Planks being the most effective IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DaiTheMod View Post
    Squats are useful as are calf tiptoes. The most important off the bike activity is concentrating on your core. Planks being the most effective IMO.
    Thanks for the helpful info,this may sound a stupid question but what are calf tiptoes? And how are they done? Thanks for the heads up on the core exercises, it is an area I have overlooked, with a tendency to concentrate on my legs.

Hi Jake,

I'm not sure of the exact exercise of 'calf tiptoes' is, but this is a common exercise you can do to strengthen your legs. There are many variations of this exercise, but this one is a good version. You could use the bottom step on your stairs at home.

Here is another quick Video, it may be of some help, cyclist clothing optional

Does positioning of the foot on the pedal have an effect on which muscles are used or to the intensity of their use? I know the special cycle shoes tend to encourage ball of the foot to the toes use, whereas i tend to use the arch of my foot, which I find more comfortable.