Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: India is set to over take China in the population stakes

The figures are staggering, but this may offer some comfort.... http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

A tremendous change occurred with the industrial revolution: whereas it had taken all of human history until around 1800 for world population to reach one billion, the second billion was achieved in only 130 years (1930), the third billion in less than 30 years (1959), the fourth billion in 15 years (1974), and the fifth billion in only 13 years (1987).

During the 20th century alone, the population in the world has grown from 1.65 billion to 6 billion.

In 1970, there were roughly half as many people in the world as there are now.

Because of declining growth rates, it will now take over 200 years to double again.

I can't image what the planet will be like in the next 30 years, with such a huge increase in population. We can already see a big shift in how cars are going to be powered. there has to be a monumental shift in the way we manufacture, dispose of waste and use natural resources, otherwise we will see a world that has a sicker population than ever, a world with no resources and a crime ridden society where it is dog eat dog. If we don't change, I think we will start to see the decline in the human race.

I was watching the documentary 'cowspiracy' yesterday and it discussed the difficultly in feeding the worlds population with the land that we have available, hence the massive deforestation. It also mentioned that meat consumption was on the rise around the world. The simple fact is with a growing world population the planet cannot feed the forthcoming population unless drastic actions are taken, and that would mean everyone turning vegetarian overnight, which of course will never happen.
    All I can see for the future of the human race was anarchy, violence and starvation.

If you can get the opportunity to see this film, I highly recommend you take it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    I was watching the documentary 'cowspiracy' yesterday and it discussed the difficultly in feeding the worlds population with the land that we have available, hence the massive deforestation. It also mentioned that meat consumption was on the rise around the world. The simple fact is with a growing world population the planet cannot feed the forthcoming population unless drastic actions are taken, and that would mean everyone turning vegetarian overnight, which of course will never happen.
    All I can see for the future of the human race was anarchy, violence and starvation.

If you can get the opportunity to see this film, I highly recommend you take it.
    Let me get this right, you are blaming the future starvation in the world and potential extinction of our species on meat eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Let me get this right, you are blaming the future starvation in the world and potential extinction of our species on meat eaters
    Well, I suppose if you want to take it to the final point then yes, I do think there will be a causal link.

I heard that the production of food around the world has to be doubled in order to meet the population by 2048

Where will they find the land to meet the rising food demand?

The numbers and outcomes are staggering, what bothers me is that it seems a very under reported problem. 2050 will soon be upon us and if we leave it any longer to act it will surely be too late. We are the world governments not talking about this?