Thread: Diet and parties....how?

Diet and parties....how?

Okay, so I am trying to make long term lifestyle changes to my diet, this involves cutting out sugar, alcohol, processed food and wheat.

But, it's the summer months and I'm being invited to weddings, BBQ's, parties, local evets etc...

I don't want to be a misery and not go, I don't want to ruin my diet, and I don't want to look like a weirdo and take a packed lunch....

Can anyone make any suggestions to help me out?

Pick your party food wisely, and choose long drinks that you can sip over a longer period of time.

Hmm, it seems this is the problem of many people who trying to lose weight. I also know an older acquaintance of mine, he said that losing weight is extremely difficult. The weight losing progress is full of irony, typically like when we want to diet, but then our friends ask us to come join in a party (as you said). If we don't join them then we will probably feel like missing the fun, the chance to meet our friends, and other opportunities. If we join them then high chance our diet will be for nothing.
    Sorry but currently I can't come up with any legit suggestion. According to my acquaintance then he said that it requires strong will to pursue this losing weight path.
    Still one thing I'd like to note, if whenever you feel like eating, especially when you're in depression. Please, try not to fall into eating too much or too frequent. Eating is one way to stop thinking since our brain will mostly focus on the stomach and the eating progress. And so eating is common way of many people to ignore depression and stress. But this is also a pitfall: eating only temporary stop you from being depressed or stress when you eat, after that, things will return back to normal and it can be worst when you gain weight because of that. The depression can be more intense. And so though I don't think currently you're in the depression state, I think it's worth to note that.
    Last edited by Antonio94; 4th July 2017 at 14:22.

I think you make a good point there Antonio94, but you make the comment that 'if we join them then the diet will be for nothing'. I think anyone embarking on a change of eating plan has to decide right at the beginning what their goals are. Is this a short term kick ass diet to lose up to a stone, if so, it is important to stick to the plan, if it is a long term plan to lose more weight and change eating habits for good, then I think it is acceptable to consider parties as part of life, learn to make wise choices where possible, enjoy the party for what it is and then get back to the work of healthy eating.

I think it is a mistake to consider any bad day as falling off the wagon, because it almost gives you a license to ruin the whole day and go mad, this leads to a depressive cycle, which as Antonio94 refers to leads to further eating.

Week, it's party season, weddings, BBQ's family get together etc....blooming nightmare! I feel tortured, it seems that there is something on almost every week which is proving to be a nightmare to keep on track.

I've come to accept that you have to pick your fights and then go with the flow on the others. So weddings you just have to accept that it won't be a good health day. Family do's well, they are used to your weirdness so it won't offend anyone if you bring your own food along, the same with close friends etc

It's about making the best of a bad situation, i don't let the bad diet days spoil my fun, I enjoy them for what they are and don't beat myself up about them. BUT, I don't use it as an excuse to ruin the next day, or the week.

I have to admit, I just make my excuses not to attend, I don't have the best willpower for things like party food

I would time my arrival after the food has been served so I don’t have to make any excuses. Just say you have eaten already.

I either eat before I go, but much like John B, I think I would still have a tendency to nibble, Or I would take my own food, so at least I can eat with others.
    We live in a world now where most things are excepted, I doubt anyone would notice!