Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faecal transplant

Faecal transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Jade26 View Post
    Do you know if the colonic irragation therapists do the faecal transplants?
    What . Faecal transplants, are you having a laugh?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    What . Faecal transplants, are you having a laugh?
    Hi Rainbow, something to ponder on...
    http://www.organicallypure.co.uk/for...ld-give-a-crap

Blog Entries
    Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade26 View Post
    Do you know if the colonic irragation therapists do the faecal transplants?
    No, FMT (Faecal Microbial transplants) are available in this country, but it is only practised in a hospital setting (to my knowledge).
    there are a lot of interesting studies coming out of this therapy.

This is quite interesting stuff, and this may open up an door for future research into faecal transplants for many other diseases, or it may help us to understand our gut flora a little better and the role it plays in our health. I found this in Newscientist.com

Emma Allen-Vercoe, a microbiologist at the University of Guelph in Canada, says She knows of other doctors who have observed unexpected spin-offs after faecal transplants, but haven’t reported individual cases in the past. “My colleagues have certainly seen some interesting things along the way,” she says. “They will perform a faecal transplant for C. difficile and then notice that, hey, the person’s ulcerative colitis has cleared up, or, hey, they are not depressed any more.”

“My colleagues will perform a faecal transplant and then notice that the person isn’t depressed any more”
    Kelly has her own stories. “I had one patient who had alopecia, and he had no hair on his body since he was 6 years old,” she says. “After his faecal transplant, he actually started to grow hair again, and he managed to shave.”

There are 68 registered clinical trials under way in the US, investigating transplants’ potential for treating diabetes, Crohn’s and HIV infection.

I read about a guy that did his own faecal transplant or FMT, it sounded disgusting. To cut a very long story short this guy had suffered for many, many years with a colitis type picture and it was having a profound affect on his life. He did the transplant in a hotel room (not sure why really), he managed to get faeces from his friend who obviously had good stomach bacteria in his opinion, and transferred the faeces into tablet capsules (Urghh!)
    He then swallowed the capsules (even more urghh!), and waited to see the results, this could have potentially killed him, but within a day he was feeling better and continued to improve over the coming days and weeks.
    Long term he had small signs of his condition coming back, but he admitted he went on to follow what could only be described as a very poor diet of fast food and alcohol.

I don't condone this mans actions and I certainly would not consider it an option for myself, but I do find the whole FMT fascinating and the results coming out of this therapy should be clearly noted for future therapies less yuk.

Wouldn't all of this research point to the suggestion the gut bacteria are fundamentally important to our health? so why is there not a greater emphasis on probiotics? rather than FMT?

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    ...transferred the faeces into tablet capsules .... He then swallowed the capsules
    Oh good grief that man was on a mission! He must have been in some sort of pain to resort to such measures.

I do wonder how this idea first came about, did someone think, if only I could have another persons poo in my body

His mate must have had a right chuckle to himself doing the sample.

That kind of plan could have only be dreamt up in the pub at the end of the drinking session.

I’ve stumbled upon this thread, quite by accident . Is this a real thing, really? I doubt it is the future of medicine, how can someone else’s poo be good for you? It can’t! Because you can get food poisoning from unclean food handlers bugs, so surely this is a load of crap! (Excuse the pun).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
    I’ve stumbled upon this thread, quite by accident . Is this a real thing, really? I doubt it is the future of medicine, how can someone else’s poo be good for you? It can’t! Because you can get food poisoning from unclean food handlers bugs, so surely this is a load of crap! (Excuse the pun).
    It seems unbelievable doesn't it, but it is the future of medicine, but not necessarily in this format. What has come out of this research is the awareness of just how important our microbiome is and how it controls so many aspects of our lives. Aspects that were never known before.

Personally, I think it is exciting times ahead, and I for one, look forward to seeing the future of microbiome medicine. Of course, what would be even better is if people would recognise the relevance now and start making changes in their diets to maximise their health.