Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10,000 steps a day

I'm still sticking to it, I may not be reaching my goal everyday, but I do try to make up for the lost steps on other days. I can achieve it whilst the lighter nights and longer days are here, Im sure how achievable it will be during the winter months.

I was doing okay, until the weather become unpredictable and generally ruined my plan. I know it sounds lame to say I've been rained off, but truly the rain has been very heavy and not a joy to walk in.

I need to find a plan B for foul weather days.

I took the plunge recently and bought myself a Fitbit so I can track my steps and push myself a little. I have to say I was somewhat discouraged when I realised I had managed to achieve 5000 steps before I had left the bedroom just by body brushing alone! then I went to the cinema and it logged me as being asleep for 2 hours.

I don't wish to knock the Fitbit too much, I like it as a guide now I understand its limitations, But it is fair to say it does have have limitations. That being said, I have noticed that on non walking/exercising days I massively under-achieve on steps, perhaps more than I would have estimated. Its made me realise I do a lot less than I think I do, which has helped me to step up my game, or alter my food intake accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    I took the plunge recently and bought myself a Fitbit so I can track my steps and push myself a little. I have to say I was somewhat discouraged when I realised I had managed to achieve 5000 steps before I had left the bedroom just by body brushing alone! then I went to the cinema and it logged me as being asleep for 2 hours.
    Ha, Ha, I love the fact you racked up 5000 steps through body brushing I did think about buying one, but I wonder how much it's limitations reduce the effectiveness of the information you are trying to gain from the device.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    I took the plunge recently and bought myself a Fitbit so I can track my steps ..... I have noticed that on non walking/exercising days I massively under-achieve on steps, perhaps more than I would have estimated. Its made me realise I do a lot less than I think I do
    I think this goes for a lot of people, many, if not most people massively overestimate their daily movements and also underestimate their calorie intake. If by buying the Fitbit you have increased your exercise, then despite its limitations the Fitbit will have paid for itself.

Are you aware that your iPhone will count your steps if you keep it on you, there is no need to buy a Fitbit, if your only reason is to count steps, additionally, it is more likely to be accurate because it is not affected by arm movement in the same way a device worn on the are is affected.

I have to say, I've struggled to achieve 10,000 steps a day and have been made acutely aware of the very little movement I do. I genuinely thought this would be an easy task, with effort being made to achieve the final 1000 steps, but the reality for me is that I am having to make the effort for 5000 steps.

At first I forced myself to make this effort, but very quickly I found this became a chore and something I did not get pleasure in, So now I have compromised and have decided to achieve 50,000 steps a week and do something different like cycling or rowing. This has taken the pressure of myself, given me permission to mix it up a bit and made it more interesting.

I think that If you have a very active job, achieving 10,000 steps a day, should be relatively easy, if you are an office worker, I think you will find this difficult to achieve.

Did you read that the media have suggested that this concept was a marketing campaign from the 1960's. Heres a link to the article on BBC health http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42864061

The article suggests that the idea of 10,000 steps a day was to sell a pedometer.

All these healthy suggestions are so frustrating, it is no wonder no one is interested in listening to them or following them, when we here this kind of thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    Did you read that the media have suggested that this concept was a marketing campaign from the 1960's. Heres a link to the article on BBC health http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42864061 The article suggests that the idea of 10,000 steps a day was to sell a pedometer
    Really! How sad, and bought into it too, not the original pedometer from the 60’s, but the concept I always find it sad to hear stories like this. The amount of times I talk to people about diet and lifestyle and I hear that ‘what and who are they meant to believe’ and sadly, I don’t have the answer. I don’t even believe research papers now and stories like this just add to the confusion.