Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get pregnant.

Trying to get pregnant.

Hi, I'm new to the site and have joined this site (along with some baby ones), in the hope to get some advice and support.

I'm planning on starting a family, and would like to maximise my own health before I actually conceive, for two reasons, firstly to help me get pregnant and to give the baby the best health conditions prior to starting out in life.

Any food stuffs to add in or leave out would be gratefully received.

Blog Entries
    Hi Tanya,

what at a great question, thank you for posting. You may already know that foods you eat today will continue to have an impact on your fertility for up to 90 days.

My best advice is to eat organic as much as financially possible, this is to reduce your intake of herbicides and pesticides, additionally, your body will benefit from the additional nutrients that organic offers.

Drink only organic milk, and use only organic dairy, non-organic dairy should be avoided as it contains hormones and antibiotics, which can lead to an increase in estrogen levels within the body.

Reduce your toxin exposure as much as possible and of course the obvious one is folic acid.

Blog Entries
    Hi Tanya, ensure you have a wide variety of nutrients and eat the colour of the rainbow.
    Selenium is very good, and a great source is from Brazil nuts, 1-2 a day, will meet your daily needs.
    Selenium protects the eggs and sperms from free radical damage, which is vitally important for healthy eggs.

I can only speak from a male perspective but sperm health is often overlooked when trying to conceive. If I was planning to extend my family (I'm not...too old). I'd take a Vitamin C and Zinc supplement. I'd also hit the nuts and seeds for the selenium, whilst cutting down on alcohol and tobacco consumption. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

DaiTheMod, would you take the Vit C and Zinc in supplement form, or via food, or both?

I'd suggest both. For him 1000mg Vitamin C, 5mg Zinc. You'll pick up the necessary zinc in nuts and seeds but extra supplements won't hurt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiTheMod View Post
    I can only speak from a male perspective but sperm health is often overlooked when trying to conceive
    An excellent point, ensuring that both of you are as healthy as possible is essential to fertility and the baby's health.

Relaxation is really important, try and keep chilled and don't put too much emphasis on the getting pregnant...so they say

A really good multivitamin and mineral should make sure you have all the nutrients that you may miss out on through your daily diet.