Thread: Turmeric and mustard seed potatoes

Turmeric and mustard seed potatoes

Name:  IMG_1199.JPG
Views: 426
Size:  85.8 KB

I have to admit That I am a die heard fan of Ella, from the deliciously Ella company. The recipes are easy to make and so tasty, here is one of my favourites and it is such a twist on potatoes in a way you'll have never tried before.

Ingredients:

1kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
    Salt and pepper to taste
    5 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon of ground Turmeric
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
    Juice of 1 lemon.

Boil the potatoes, once the water is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft enough to mash.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan until it is hot, then add the mustard seeds and wait until they start popping. When this happens, add the rest of the spices, salt and pepper and then the lemon juice. Let it bubble for a minute or two then remove from the heat.

Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and return them to their hot pan and mash roughly with a fork, don't let them turn into mash though. The texture should be along the lines of broken potatoes rather than mash.

Stir in the mixture and enjoy!

These sound de-lich-us! But what would you have them with? That sound like the taste would be quite strong.

I've made these, they are a strange taste at first, like nothing you've tasted before, but very quickly you become accustomed to the taste and just keep wanting more!

You're right about the taste being quite strong, and I think they are a stand alone food on the plate. In that I mean normally mash is an accompaniment to other foods, where I think this is the main interest on the plate. Personally, I love it with a nice crispy salad, a sprinkling of goats cheese and a side of rice salad or cous cous salad.

What a transformation to the humble potato, I will be giving this recipe a go

These look delicious