Thread: Developing cancer more common than getting married

Developing cancer more common than getting married

I was surprised by this shock headline in the news today
    http://news.sky.com/story/developing...rried-10943133

The article suggests that 361,216 cancers were diagnosed in 2014, greater than the number of people that got married in that same year!

Is it that marriage is down, or cancer on the increase?

Cancer is increasing year on year, with breast, prostate, lung and colorectal cancers being the common cancers reported in the UK.

I read that article in the news, I wasn't really sure where it was leading to. The statistics are old, does it represent that marriage is on the way down or cancer is on the way up?

What was the point of the article?

It does seem a bit of a random article given the age of the statistics. One thing it does highlight is the rising incidence of cancer. I read that young adults between the ages of 15 to 29 have a worse prognosis now than they did 25 years ago?? How? Why? surely with all the money going into cancer research (and there is a lot) there should be some improvement or the same, not worse. I hate to say it, but cancer is a business, a very profitable one.

I've just done a bit of searching and discovered this..

The rise in cancer is most apparent in teenagers and young adults aged between 15 and 24, where the incident rate has risen from 10 cases in 100,000 to nearly 16 cases in 100,00.
    Researchers say that some of the rise can be explained by improvements in cancer diagnosis and more screening, although the majority is probably caused by environmental factors.

But with the population rising isn't it inevitable that cancer rates will rise?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    But with the population rising isn't it inevitable that cancer rates will rise?
    I suppose it depends on how the data is presented as to whether an increase in population mattered or not. If it is based as a percentage then the answer is no.

Cigarette smoking is at an all time low, fresh food is more readily available in a wider variety, health care has improved, so why is cancer on the increase?

I read today in the news that life expectancy is levelling out too!