Chocolate Chia Cookies

These are a staple in our house and so easy to make, thanks to 'Deliciously Ella', we eat them on their own or combine them as a side to the avocado chocolate mousse, over the time I have added different dried foods to the original mixture, which works great and offers some variety.
Sometimes I swap the nuts for a different type, for example, I'll swap hazelnuts for walnuts.

Pre-heat the oven to 150C and line your baking trays with grease proof paper.

Ingredients:

1 cup of Almonds (200g)

1 cup of Hazelnuts (190g)

1 cup of quinoa or buckwheat flour (200g)

1/3 cup of pure maple syrup (100ml)

5 Medjool dates, pitted

1/4 cup of water (75ml)

3 heaped tablespoons of raw cacao powder

3 Tablespoons of chia seeds

2 Tablespoons of coconut oil.

Optional: Dried fruit

Method:

Place the nuts in the food processor and blend for a minute or two until a flour forms, then add all the remaining ingredients until a sticky dough forms. Optional: At this point you can throw in a small handful of dried fruit, I particularly like sultanas or apricots.

Scoop about a tablespoon into your hands and roll into a ball (about the size of a pig-pong ball), Place the balls on the grease proof paper, 6 per tray, 3 x each side.

Wash your hands.

With another piece of grease proof paper the same size as the tray cover the balls and tray, then gently press over the balls to flatten them out to make large round, thick cookies*

Leave the grease proof paper on the top and transfer to the oven, this protects the cookies from getting burnt on the edges.

Leave in the oven for 12-15 minutes, Transfer to a cooling try and allow to cool. They are delicious just slightly warm

Enjoy!

* The original recipe states the cookies should be thin, but I found they were quite hard and dry, so I have a preference for making my cookies chunky, they are softer, and not crunchy.
Play around with the sizes and see which you prefer. Maybe for your first batch you could do half and half.

Original recipe bit.ly/2hKvHQ9