Thread: Tax on plastic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tax on plastic

I'm all for cleaning up the use of plastic, but is it right that the government is thinking of taxing plastic that is used in take-away foods etc?

Surely the problem lies with the companies, not the consumer. Why is it always the consumer that has to pay!

But it's the consumer that drives the market. If you hit the consumer then, they demand a change and that's how things get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    But it's the consumer that drives the market. If you hit the consumer then, they demand a change and that's how things get done.
    I agree consumerism accounts for a lot, however the consumer buys the product not the packaging, it is very hard to tell your local take away to change their packaging. Big business needs to lead the way, and there needs to be effort on behalf of the government regarding encouraging alternative packaging, encouraging companies to invent more environmentally sustainable packaging.

I don't doubt there is a need to reduce our over use of plastic packaging, and I do think it requires a multiple approach to deal with the problem. But I have to agree, it drives me mad that the governments response is to tax the citizens. I'd like to know what have they done to encourage the industry to change the overuse of plastics? do they invest in companies that invent alternatives? it is no good getting rid of plastics, until there is a sustainable, viable alternative available to all.

I found this on Youtube, sorry for the poor sound quality, but you can get the gist of what alternatives are out there..

There have been alternatives around for years, but for some reason haven’t made it to become common place, I can only surmise that it is due to cost. Plastic is so cheap, and takeaway tubs can be purchased for pence, whereas alternatives cost ££’s

It all comes down to price, which is where the government can step in with subsidies etc. Can you imagine the impact if overnight all the plastic were swapped for natural biodegradable products....it would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alda79 View Post
    There have been alternatives around for years, but for some reason haven’t made it to become common place, I can only surmise that it is due to cost. Plastic is so cheap, and takeaway tubs can be purchased for pence, whereas alternatives cost ££’s

It all comes down to price, which is where the government can step in with subsidies etc. Can you imagine the impact if overnight all the plastic were swapped for natural biodegradable products....it would be amazing.
    Everything comes down to money, unless there is profit to be made, no one is interested.

It’s because the populous is an easy target, the government decides to put on taxation and we can’t do anything about it. Look at plastic bags for example, shops haven’t provided an alternative to bags, you just have to pay for the privilege now.

Which in my opinion missed the point completely, if I happen to end up at a shop I didn’t plan for I often do not have bags to carry my purchases, which forces me to buy a plastic bag. The companies have not changed to paper bags to also help the cause, why will it be any different with plastic containers. Do you bring your own plastic containers from home to carry out your rice and chow mien?

I’m all for changing practices, but alternatives have to be in place first.

I think if the government really wanted things to change, they could make changes overnight, but the reality is that plastic comes from the petrochemical companies, have you any idea how much revenue these companies bring into the country? Massive amounts, by reducing the use of these plastics overnight would come at a cost implication the the country’s revenue.

The government subsidises companies like farming and bails out banks when it chooses, it can help get alternatives into the mainstream if it really wanted.

It'll be interesting to see how policy changes once China stops taking our plastic waste. http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8097166.html