Thread: Snow and school closures

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Snow and school closures

I’m all for schools to carry on regardless when there is snow and I don’t presume there should be school closures as a result. But when there is very clearly a heavy snow fall, and the school is saying it’ll make a decision about the following day at 07.30 it really does not help me to make alternative arrangements for child care.

There’s heavy snow fall here 4-6 inches of snow and -10 degrees temperatures given for tonight.... what more does the school need to know at 07.00 tomorrow?

Yet, the threat of a snowflake in some areas and some schools shut!

I think what you’re trying to say is that we (the UK) doesn’t do snow well!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I think what you’re trying to say is that we (the UK) doesn’t do snow well!
    There is that, but what I am trying to say is that schools should consider that parents have to make complex arrangements for child care and making obvious decisions at the last minute is not acceptable.

I’m sure the threat of litigation is what causes schools to close so quickly, citing the usual heating problems as an excuse.

Why don’t you make arrangements as though school will be closed, as you say it is inevitable anyway. Then cancel them at the last minute if the school becomes open. Rather than try and rush to make arrangements in the early hours. Plan ahead.

I do find it surprising how the schools can so easily shut and justify loss of education for ‘snow days’, yet are quick to fine parents for removing children for holidays.

What would we do if there was a prolonged period of ice and snow? Would school stay closed for weeks? Snow and cold weather should be expected every year and provision made to work around such issues.