Thread: Recommendation that children are restricted to two snacks a day

Recommendation that children are restricted to two snacks a day

What do people think about the latest recommendation from the government that children should be restricted to two snacks a day with a maximum calorie intake of 100 calories each?

I don’t think they have gone far enough. If they need to tell people this, because people can’t think for themselves, then they should make recommendations of the types of snacks, ie a banana, apple, hummus and raw veg etc

Have you seen the BBC health section where a young women is challenging this idea of limiting snacks to 100 calories a day? Here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...-with-anorexia

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
    Have you seen the BBC health section where a young women is challenging this idea of limiting snacks to 100 calories a day? Here is the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...-with-anorexia
    I can't help but feel the message has been lost on the people in this video. The governments recommendations are for 100 calories snacks limited to two daily. Not overall food intake, This is about eating proper meals and additional snacks, anorexia is about mental health problems not snacks.

I have to agree, anorexia is more about mental health problems than food, food is just their control. The girls seems to have confused normal meals (usually 3 a day) with snacks.

I think if you eat three decent healthy meals a day, you wouldn’t feel the need to snack, but 100 calorie snacks seem reasonable to me.

I think a couple of 100 calories snacks a day is quite reasonable. I think they should be concentrating on educating the parents on how not to raise their children to crave snacks in the first place though.

I think people get sick of Government recommendations, when in the past they have been proven to be incorrect or politically motivated. People get tired of advice, when you know it is controlled advised based in who is paying who.

Lets be honest, who actually abides by any of this governmental dietary advice? the pyramid has been proven to be incorrect.