Thread: Dairy free yogurts

Dairy free yogurts

Can anyone recommend some dairy free yogurts? They seem so expensive to buy, so sadly these will be a treat.

Blog Entries
    Hi Lidia, I have been trying Nush and Co-Yo. Both of which I recommend. I buy mine from Sainsbury's, so it worth checking out your usual shop to see if they stock non dairy yogurts.

Ive been trying Nush yogurts, they are almond milk based. But I find them all quite expensive. I did try the Co Yo ones that Louise refers to, but they are £2 a pot and out of my budget I'm afraid. Also, the Vanilla one was so bad tasting I had to add maple syrup in large quantities to make it palatable, which adds to the cost and goes against the health benefits.

Make your own dairy free yoghurt following this simple recipe;

For a real yogurt-like texture, I recommend using full fat coconut milk. Other options such as almond milk, cashew milk, or soy milk don’t compare to the creamy texture it gives this yogurt. But if you have a different favorite dairy-free milk option, you can still make this recipe work with it, just know it will not come out as creamy.

1. Start by stirring gelatin and warm water together in a small bowl. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes until it forms a gel-like substance
    2. Meanwhile, warm the milk and maple syrup or honey in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
    3. Add 1/4 cup of the warmed milk to the gelatin and stir to combine, before adding to the saucepot. Whisk to combine. If you are using active cultures in this yogurt recipe, add them here
    4. Divide the liquid between 4 yogurt ramekins or mason jars. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.