Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ayurvedic Medicine

Ayurvedic Medicine

Hi, is there anyone on here familiar with Ayurvedic Medicine?

Blog Entries
    I have a very basic understanding, what is it you are after?

Isn’t that Chinese medicine?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I have a very basic understanding, what is it you are after?
    Thanks for replying, I understand that Ayurveda is Avery wholistic medicine and way of life, and it is something that I believe would fit well into my ethos in life. i.e preventive, ethical, vegetarian.
    I have tried to read about the subject, and I can understand the importance of massage, but I struggle with the Dosha’s and yin / yang.

I’d be grateful if someone could shed any light on it in a way I would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusD View Post
    Isn’t that Chinese medicine?
    No, it’s a 5000 year old Indian medicine, that went to ground when the British Empire move in and favoured Western medicine. It has since had a resurgence and is now becoming a growing trend in this country.

I think it has similar principles to the Chinese 5 elements, a lot of these ancient ideas intermingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale42 View Post
    I think it has similar principles to the Chinese 5 elements, a lot of these ancient ideas intermingle.
    That’s the bit I find confusing, the elements, the doshas, how they relate to me. Health, food etc. I find it very difficult to get my head around.

For example if your Dosha has too much you can eat a certain way to balance it out, which is great, I get that. But I have a mixture of Dosh’s as my primary Dosha Vata-pitta, so how do I choose what to eat to balance this Dosha when they are conflicting foods for each Dosha?

I think it’s a case of looking at the common foods related to the two Dosha’s and try to implement them as you feel they benefit you. Maybe introduce them slowly and see the reaction your body has to them.

I know what you mean, I think it’s quite confusing the basic three doshas are fairly black and white, ‘Do this, don’t do that’, but when you start mixing the Dosha’s how do you know which bit to do and not to do I did find this on the Pukka site which may be of some help https://www.pukkaherbs.com/our-missi...-introduction/

I love Ayurvedic treatments, they are very much in keeping with the body’s natural process and type.