Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vitamins

I’m never sure if I should invest in vitamins and minerals or not, and if so, which ones should I buy.

I hear so many conflicting stories about fillers, colourings, toxins.

Any recommendations for a good one would be very welcome.

Solgar have a good range of vitamins, although they are not the cheapest, more middle of the road in terms of their pricing. Then again, cheap isn’t good.

I would recommend buying the best brand you can afford to by on a regular basis. It is no good buying a top of the range brand, if you can only afford it for two months. Consistency is the key.

Pukka are doing some excellent herbal supplements https://www.pukkaherbs.com/teas-supp...c-supplements/. They may not be a specific general vitamin, but they are worth a look. Their range is expanding all the time, so it is worth keeping an eye out for further lines.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with Solgar. But if money is tight Holland and Barret do many special offers on vitamins, thats when I stock up. although Solgar is very rarely on their special offer promotions.

Blog Entries
    There is a lot of conflicting information out there, which makes it a minefeild to decide what is the healthiest path to take.

The argument against them is that they are often packed with stabilisers, fillers etc and the absorption by the body is very limited. Some would go as far to suggest that they cause more damage in the body than they help.

There is is no doubt that eating a wide variety of colours in the forms of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds will give you all the nutrients you require and therefore you should not feel the need to supplement.

However, we do not all live in the perfect world, we often don’t have the time to prepare fresh foods, we eat on the run and often end up eating processed, packaged foods.

I think there here is a place for certain vitamins to help support our diet or lifestyle. But they should not be used as an excuse to not try to eat as healthy as possible. Our body was designed to extract the goodness from real food.

I saw this in Wikipedia and just had to share. What fascinates me is how new our understanding is of how our body functions and the nutrients it requires to function.

The term vitamin is derived from the word vitamine, coined in 1912 by biochemist Casimir Funk, who isolated a complex of micronutrients essential to life, all of which he presumed to be amines. When this presumption was later determined not to be true, the "e" was dropped from the name.[7] All vitamins were discovered (identified) between 1913 and 1948.

There is a lot of coverage about the dangers of taking vitamins, along with the suggestion that they don’t actually work. But in my opinion, when ever I have felt the need to supplement with vitamins, I have found them to benefit my ailment, suggesting my body lacked the nutrient and benefited from the supplement.

I don’t take them all of the time, but they do have some effect. I also firmly believe that whole food is the ideal to gain our vitamins and minerals.

I think the common sense approach would be buy the best quality vitamins you can afford, and read the label, if they are full of additives, sugars and fillers, stay clear of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I think the common sense approach would be buy the best quality vitamins you can afford, and read the label, if they are full of additives, sugars and fillers, stay clear of them.
    Is there evidence that the better more expensive the product the better quality it is?