Thread: The war on plastic packaging

The war on plastic packaging

I’m not a big fan of Sky News by any stretch of imagination, but I have to say I think they should be awarded for highlighting the problem of plastic in our society.

For once it is good to see that media giants have used their power and influence for some good.

I know people have been banging on about it for years prior to Sky News jumping on the bandwagon, but their voices have been drowned out over the years, so it is good to see that this has now become a public issue that is actually changing people’s perceptions of our over use of plastic.

It was good to see Easter eggs had less plastic packaging on them this year.

I was listening to the news this morning and a spokesman for the plastic industry suggested that plastic was a ‘healthier’ choice. I have to admit, this had me stumped, healthier for whom?

I have to agree, the momentum of the change appears to be picking up spread and followers. It’s good to see so many more companies making small, but fundamental changes.

It would be nice to hear more about whether this attitude is a global one, or just limited to our small country. I sometimes feel that we make changes here to have an effect on the planet, with little effort by other countries.

However, despite my reservations, I will say, I think this is more positive. For me, I would like to see plastic bags for putting your fruit and veg in changed to paper.

Paper bags are more expensive to purchase, it all comes down to cost.

Its good to see that people are really sitting up and taking notice of their use of plastic. I find it really frustrating when suppliers use half paper/half plastic, what the hell are you supposed to do with that? Where I live recycling is really fussy and won't take anything that is classed as hybrid packaging.