Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsillectomy

Tonsillectomy

I recently read that tonsillectomy’s are still occurring needlessly. Now this was common practice many years ago, in fact it seems the slight whiff of a sore throat and you got the chop.

So I was surprised to see the practice still going on, with the view that it was still a ‘needless’ intervention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46095462

This is a link to the article.

I find this article utterly shocking, and it begs the question whether the surgeons/Doctors making these decisions should be struck off for undertaking ‘needless’ operations!

7 out of 8 tonsillectomy’s would not provide any benefit to the patient! And 32,500 of the 37,000 operations were unnecessary

Doesn’t this sum up the typical Western approach to all things health?

I thought Tonsils were part of the immune system, aren’t they supposed to give you a sore throat when they are trying to protect you?

By removing them surely you are making the person prone to further complications!

Blog Entries
    You’re absolutely right Harry, the tonsils form part of our immune system and are designed to swell and get painful when the are ‘doing their job’.

When people are constantly prone to throat infections, it may be worth looking at other factors in their lives, body etc. Surely, it is like taking the smoke alarm batteries out when the alarm goes off, just because it’s quiet, doesn’t mean you’ve solved the problem

I suffered from severe sore throats frequently as a child and I had them taken out and never looked back. It was the best thing that could have happened as I very rarely have a sore throat now so definitely not needless in my opinion.

I thought your tonsils were meant to protect you from infection, they swell like your lymph nodes do when you are exposed to infection. Surely removing them is counter intuitive

So if tonsils have a use, why do they remove them?

Quote Originally Posted by Christiane View Post
    So if tonsils have a use, why do they remove them?
    I’m not sure they do have a use because I had constant sore throats so they provided no protection at all. Since having them out I have been free of sore throats ever since.

Tonsils are part of your immune system, they swell like your glands do. This was misunderstood many years ago, but now they understand a lot more, tonsils are not removed unless absolutely necessary.

I have heard this is now the case too. Years ago they were always taking out kids tonsils and adanoids!