Okay, so the title could have been more catchy, but it does what says it does!

Since a child I have been plagued by the constant problem of being just too tasty for anything that flies and bites. Each year during the spring and summer months I have spent the days covered in red, itchy bumps, surrounded by bruises, frequently displaying the frustration of never quite getting on top of that itchy sensation.

I have used hairbrushes, loofahs and skin creams, all with some level of short term benefit. But, despite my desperation to apply the cream, I have never been happy with adding the toxins to my skin.

So, after reading about a weed named Plantain, I was willing to give it a go. When in nature, you can pick a leaf, rip it up, or chew it, and then rub onto the affected area, it naturally takes the itch out, much in the same way a dock leaf works on a nettle sting.

I decided to make a balm, that I could apply more readily, so here is my effort, it is simple and hopefully effective. The plantain plan can be found growing all over the place.

Name:  A23C678C-1A50-469A-83DE-72F7D64F48A8.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  13.5 KB

I used a jug of plantain leaves and cut them into fine pieces, I added these into a glass bowl with a few table spoons of organic raw coconut oil. I gently heated this with warm water in a bowl underneath.

Name:  88E4CD45-9895-4CE5-AD02-42C70B611345.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  19.6 KB

I kept renewing the water, to ensure the oil was gently heated so as not to damage the qualities of the leaf. After several hours, I used a very sophisticated extraction process, tea strainer! I used a metal spoon to squeeze the leaves in the tea strainer, to allow the oil to drip into the glass jar underneath.

Name:  13FD7B5C-6B5C-4AF6-B7A0-A93580244362.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  11.8 KB

Once full, I have capped it off and kept it in the fridge. This has resulted in the oil hardening, and has become more of a balm, than a lotion. If you want a more lotion type outcome, just keep it at room temperature.

Name:  925EBB07-BC3F-477C-892E-5D7737B0435A.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  16.2 KB

The lotion stops me from itching and is safe to use on my skin without any side effects.
Plantain was considered one of the nine sacred herbs by the Anglo Saxons who celebrated it as the Mother of all herbs. It was used for scrapes, bruises, burns, cuts and skin conditions. It is also known to have antibacterial properties.

Plantain leaf has intense drawing abilities, and can draw out the poison from bug bites, insect bites, bee stings, wasp stings and nettle stings. this drawing action makes it highly effective in bringing blisters or spots to a head.
Plantain is known to provide natural relief from sunburn, and can help treat acne and rosacea.