Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural anti-itch cream

Blog Entries

Natural anti-itch cream

Okay, so the title could have been more catchy, but it does what says it does!

Since a child I have been plagued by the constant problem of being just too tasty for anything that flies and bites. Each year during the spring and summer months I have spent the days covered in red, itchy bumps, surrounded by bruises, frequently displaying the frustration of never quite getting on top of that itchy sensation.

I have used hairbrushes, loofahs and skin creams, all with some level of short term benefit. But, despite my desperation to apply the cream, I have never been happy with adding the toxins to my skin.

So, after reading about a weed named Plantain, I was willing to give it a go. When in nature, you can pick a leaf, rip it up, or chew it, and then rub onto the affected area, it naturally takes the itch out, much in the same way a dock leaf works on a nettle sting.

I decided to make a balm, that I could apply more readily, so here is my effort, it is simple and hopefully effective. The plantain plan can be found growing all over the place.

Name:  A23C678C-1A50-469A-83DE-72F7D64F48A8.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  13.5 KB

I used a jug of plantain leaves and cut them into fine pieces, I added these into a glass bowl with a few table spoons of organic raw coconut oil. I gently heated this with warm water in a bowl underneath.

Name:  88E4CD45-9895-4CE5-AD02-42C70B611345.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  19.6 KB

I kept renewing the water, to ensure the oil was gently heated so as not to damage the qualities of the leaf. After several hours, I used a very sophisticated extraction process, tea strainer! I used a metal spoon to squeeze the leaves in the tea strainer, to allow the oil to drip into the glass jar underneath.

Name:  13FD7B5C-6B5C-4AF6-B7A0-A93580244362.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  11.8 KB

Once full, I have capped it off and kept it in the fridge. This has resulted in the oil hardening, and has become more of a balm, than a lotion. If you want a more lotion type outcome, just keep it at room temperature.

Name:  925EBB07-BC3F-477C-892E-5D7737B0435A.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  16.2 KB

The lotion stops me from itching and is safe to use on my skin without any side effects.
    Plantain was considered one of the nine sacred herbs by the Anglo Saxons who celebrated it as the Mother of all herbs. It was used for scrapes, bruises, burns, cuts and skin conditions. It is also known to have antibacterial properties.

Plantain leaf has intense drawing abilities, and can draw out the poison from bug bites, insect bites, bee stings, wasp stings and nettle stings. this drawing action makes it highly effective in bringing blisters or spots to a head.
    Plantain is known to provide natural relief from sunburn, and can help treat acne and rosacea.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I love the complexity of your distilling operation you have there!

Did it take out the itch? And how long was it effective for?

Blog Entries
    Ha ha! I believe in the simple life Also, if I can make a home made concoction, then anyone can!

It has taken the itch out, with almost instant results, but from time to time it does need re-applying. I would say the effects are the same as a shop bought anti-histamine, without the negative effects.
    Organically Pure

Where did you buy the glass jars from?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie View Post
    Where did you buy the glass jars from?
    I bought them from Neals Yard, but you can buy them from eBay or Amazon.
    Organically Pure

Looks good Louise, can you use any oil?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Looks good Louise, can you use any oil?
    Good question, I am sure you can, but I would strongly go for oils that are easily absorbed by the skin, fractionated coconut oil is very good, but it remains in liquid form, I use the coconut oil in solid form, because it turns it into a balm, rather than a lotion, meaning I am less likely to use too much a waste it. Another beneficial oil is jojoba oil.
    Organically Pure

Blog Entries
    A follow up to my anti-itch cream, I decided to slather it on my face because.... well, why not! I am always happy to be a test subject! Anyway, I have noticed a calming of the redness on my checks, a mild form of rosacea. As a result I am keen to pursue the effects of this and see if the effects noted are more long term.
    Organically Pure

Ive heard of people chewing the leaves to release the healing compounds before applying to the itching skin.

Wow how good are you? The leaves look like a weed but how do I know I’m getting the right leaf are there any identifying features?