As an advocate of a healthy lifestyle and organic fruit and veg, I find it alarming how much plastic waste I produce from my everyday household and food packaging.

We have managed to reduce our food wastage to purely peelings, and in many instances we eat those. But our plastic waste is mind boggling, and I really struggle to know the answer. We pay more for our choice of organic food compared to non organic choices, and this is a luxury I am willing to pay for, however, I struggle to then pay a further ££ for eco friendly packaging. Does that make me morally defunct?

I guess it should do, I am happy to pay the extra money to benefit my own health, but struggle to pay the additional money for the welfare of the planet and it’s species. This is a moral argument I have with myself time and again. I just really feel that the Government simply does not do enough to assist the consumer with this quandary.

Name:  358BB4A5-17ED-4D85-96B7-D4565461815C.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  19.7 KB

I recently read these facts from the National Geographic website https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...tic-pollution/

Half of all plastics ever manufactured have been made in the last 15 years

Production increased exponentially, from 2.3 million tons in 1950 to 448 million tons by 2015. Production is expected to double by 2050.

Every year, about 8 million tons of plastic waste escapes into the oceans from coastal nations. That’s the equivalent of setting five garbage bags full of trash on every foot of coastline around the world.

Plastics often contain additives making them stronger, more flexible, and durable. But many of these additives can extend the life of products if they become litter, with some estimates ranging to at least 400 years to break down.

These numbers are staggering, and have been known for many years, so why does the Government not do more to reduce the use of plastics in our packaging?