Thread: Raspberries

Blog Entries

Raspberries

Name:  B35C54E3-962D-4D88-AA8A-9782C3D0ECF1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  20.6 KB

I’ve long been an advocate of the humble raspberry, there is nothing nicer than picking fruit directly from the plant and popping them into your mouth. The early summer brings us the opportunity to get our hands on this seasonal fruit that is grown locally, and for me, it doesn’t get more local than from my neighbours back garden - yes she does know
    Here are some of the health benefits you can gain, whilst enjoying these little red berries:

Number one on the list should be their ability to help us fight cancer, the raspberries contain ellagic acid which acts as an antioxidant and deactivates specific carcinogens, and can also slow down the reproduction of certain cancer cells.

The anthocyanin compounds found in both the skin and the flesh play a pivotal role in reducing oxidative damage and inflammation related to cardiovascular disease, helping to reduce the risk of heart disease.

Raspberries can help in blood sugar, by controlling insulin balance. When berries are eaten alongside other foods they can also help to prevent Spikes in insulin that the other foods would cause. The perfect reason to add in raspberries to every meal

Boost eye health with the aid of the flavonoids and polyphenolic compounds

These little berries are packed with immune boosting benefits, so much so, they have been award the title of a ‘super fruit’

There are so many benefits to eating raspberries, as there are in eating any berry. Grab them while they are in season and local to you, although not necessarily from your neighbours garden

Name:  30B967F9-E2A4-468B-BC82-ADD5EF7B182A.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  13.1 KB

Raspberry Smoothie:

1 cup of raspberries
    1 banana
    1 cup of almond milk

Blend all ingredients together, enjoy
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I prefer raspberries when they are just on the turn and slightly sharp in taste, Especially nice with coconut yogurt and bee pollen

Too complicated to narrow down so I’ve shared this excerpt from WHfoods.com. It seems raspberries have a very strong anti-cancer association, especially when you buy organic.
    The anti-oxidant content is much higher in the organic version than conventional farming.

Anti-cancer benefits of raspberries have long been attributed to their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients. In animal studies involving breast, cervical, colon, esophageal, and prostate cancers, raspberry phytonutrients have been shown to play an important role in lowering oxidative stress, reducing inflammation, and thereby altering the development or reproduction of cancer cells. But new research in this area has shown that the anti-cancer benefits of raspberries may extend beyond their basic antioxidant and anti-inflammatory aspects. Phytonutrients in raspberries may also be able to change the signals that are sent to potential or existing cancer cells. In the case of existing cancer cells, phytonutrients like ellagitannins in raspberries may be able to decrease cancer cell numbers by sending signals that encourage the cancer cells to being a cycle of programmed cell death (apoptosis). In the case of potentially but not yet cancerous cells, phytonutrients in raspberries may be able to trigger signals that encourage the non-cancerous cells to remain non-cancerous.

I have just eaten a bowl of fresh raspberries and they were delicious, I then logged onto here and found that they are so beneficial to my health. I am not a big fruit eater and raspberries are one of the few fruits that I really enjoy. Very interesting anti-cancer benefits

I adore raspberry and they go so well with any sort of chocolate dessert the only trouble is they don’t last long before they spoil so need to eat them quickly

Raspberries in Eton Mess are my favourite dessert and they do add a sharp flavour to cut through a sickly chocolate pudding