Thread: Focussed meditation

Focussed meditation

During these crazy times, I’m really finding the worlds politics re messing with my head, and affecting my mental health. I know that watching the news is not great, but I have always been an avid follower of the news, a trait I blame on my family!

I know I would benefit from some mental time out, and what better way to do that is meditation, but I’m honestly struggling to zone out long enough to fully get into the benefits of meditation.

Any suggestions?

Start with some deep breathing exercises, these are known to help stimulate the vagus nerve and bring about a sense of calm.

I’ve read about the importance of the vagus nerve, how it can help to slow us down, that’s why people that are anxious are encouraged to deep breathe, because it stimulates this nerve. So what Alf says is right and should certainly offer some benefits in slowing your thoughts down and prepare you for meditation.

I don’t usually use any images, but I know some people benefit from focusing on an image, say, a lit candle, and this helps to keep you focussed, and gives you something to come back to when your mind starts to wonder.

Have you tried essential oils during your meditation, they can be very powerful. Either classic lavender, or blends that are known to bring a calming effect on the mind.

I didn’t realise that deep breathing effected the vagus nerve in such a way. I do try and do this, but generally though it was more for relaxing the muscles. I will re-try with more focus on what I am achieving.

Why don’t you do your meditation before you look at the news or interact with the world? First thing in the morning?

I think you have to create a special space that is quiet and smells beautiful and then you can really zone out and breathe slowly, concentrate on your breathing and the rise and fall of your chest/abdomen. There are apps you can download that play music and they talk you through the breathing exercises. Shut the world out and definitely don’t look at the news if it upsets you.

Try the boxed breathing technique it is always being pushed by the psychologist on TV. 4,7,8

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of 4. Hold your breath for a count of 7. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of 8.

It really makes you concentrate on your breathing and shuts out distractions.

I love mediation, I really find that it has a positive effect on my mood and whole being throughout the day, I just seem more chilled and able to cope with the day.