Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric cars

I would love an electric car, they are so quiet unlike my car that can be heard from several streets away!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
    Is electricity cleaner and healthier? Do we know enough about electric cars?
    The short term costs don’t make them greener at all. In fact don’t they always say that the greenest car is the one you already own!

I think Electric cars won’t be around for very long, there will be better renewables coming through the market. How can most people recharge their electric vehicles at home? If you have on-street parking it just simply isn’t an option. Even if they build loads of changing points, the time it takes to charge the batteries is beyond a reasonable time to shop or stop for coffee, it’s hours!

So, personally, I wouldn’t rush to buy an electric car, the bottom will quickly drop out of the market in favour of the hydrogen powered car! Watch this space

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    I never even thought of all that Kat, that’s a really good point. Surely when you put all the finer details together and totalled up the carbon footprint, it is not beneficial at all. So who is driving this?
    The Government is driving it, think how much revenue it makes! It makes people buy new cars, if they don’t change their car, they get taxed more heavily for driving an environmentally damaging car. Whole new systems and infrastructures need to be made and built, all at great cost to the environment nd revenue to the Government.

I have an electric car and I do love it and of course I feel the ‘imposed smugness’ of an eco-warrior while I’m driving it, but in all honesty, I would be very hard pushed to walk around the vehicle and argue it’s eco-friendly place on this earth, given the electric it uses, the eco footprint of all its working parts from the charging equipment through to the actual car, interior plastic, leather and batteries and this doesn’t even touch on the long term use and function of the batteries, disposal of and what happens to the car when the batteries are no longer functional.

I do love it though, the silence of it, never tires me