Thread: Basil - Ocimum basilicum

Blog Entries

Basil - Ocimum basilicum

Basil
    Originating from the tropical Asia and Pacific islands, basil is now cultivated worldwide. The herb and the oil, are highly valued in plant based medicine around the world.

Key actions:
    Energising and resorative.
    The oil has a sweet, spicy, green, slightly balsamic smell and is colourless or a pale yellow colour.

Benefits:
    Women's health
    For absent or scanty periods, especially related to debility and stress. Antispasmodic action eases menstrual cramps.

Mental health
    Its balancing, reviving and strengthening effect relieves mental exhaustion, nervous anxiety and depression. Good for headaches, insomnia and loss of libido due to tension and overwork.

Digestion
    Relieves wind and indigestion due to stress. Antiseptic properties help treat gastroenteritis and other intestinal infections.

Respiratory
    Soothes coughs and can help restore sense of smell. Restorative after prolonged periods of illness.

Muscles and joints
    Useful for gout and rheumatic pain.

Usage:
    See 'Safe Use of Essential Oils' article

Bath, massage, diffusion, compress or inhalation.

Blends well with: Bergamot, Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon Grass and Rose.

Safety:
    Potentially toxic over time. Do not use over prolonged periods or in concentrations over 2%. Avoid during pregnancy.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

This looked really good when I was reading but then the safety note is slightly worrying. Potentially toxic over time - how much time and how toxic?

Quote Originally Posted by May26 View Post
    This looked really good when I was reading but then the safety note is slightly worrying. Potentially toxic over time - how much time and how toxic?
    I think you would have to be splashing it on daily for a long time, I think applying to your tummy in a carrier oil once a month to help with period cramps would not be excessive or cause a problem.