Thread: Book - Comfortably unaware

Blog Entries

Book - Comfortably unaware

Click the image for details on where to purchase.

Comfortably Unaware: What we choose to eat is killing our planet
    By Dr Richard A Oppenlander

"Every day each of us must make choices and then, ultimately, take responsibility for the comprehensive impact of those decisions. Therefore, it seems to be the inherent duty of everyone to make as informed a choice as possible. We should all be committed to understanding the reality and consequences of our diet, the footprint it makes on our environment, and seek food products that are in the best interest of all living things."
    Richard A. Oppenlander, 1989

This is an excellent, well written book that brings home the reality of the environmental impact our food choices have on the planet. A must read for all, and a book that deserves a place in the school curriculum.
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

Book review:

The effects of eating meat are laid out clearly and effectively. The facts are in, the arguments are plentiful - the dire state of our planet is directly connected to the impacts our food choice has on: global depletion (especially land, water, rain forests, the oceans, soil), climate change, the environment, loss of biodiversity, world hunger, and more.

I found this an excellent book, some it was hard to accept, but I have shared this book widely with friends, in the hope that I may change some peoples thoughts on the planet. I’ve not always been successful, but if it plants the seed, then that’s good enough for me!

This opened my eyes to eating meat and definitely makes you reconsider what you are eating

This was a really powerful book, some of it I couldn’t really get my head around, or even believe, there were a lot of assumptions, but, all in all a good book, and certainly one that highlights the potentials of climate change on water, food, and humans.