Thread: Brittle nails

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brittle nails

Not really a health condition as such, but my nails are so brittle and keep breaking/tearing, any suggestions on what I can do to improve my nails?

Biotin and B-vitamins will help your nails tremendously. If you eat eggs, then food wise, that is your first port of call. If not, look at products like marmite, or any foods with high levels of B-vitamins.

Try rubbing vitamin oil into the cuticles each night, the vitamin oil will help to enrich the nail and the gentle massage will aid blood flow to your nail bringing nutrients.

Make sure your nail clippers are sharp, cutting your nails with less than sharp tools can leave your nails invisibly open to water damage and tearing.

Have you tried Folate? This can help strengthen your nails and promotes growth.

I use a glass nail file and this made the world of difference to my nails, after cutting, give them a quick file and this will help close the end and stop water getting in and damaging the nail, which makes it easier to split. glass or crystal nail files are the best and last for years.

I read somewhere that onion juice is supposed to be very good for brittle nails, just cut an onion and that creamy white juice that comes out, spread it on your nails. You’ll need to do this several times a day.

Vitamin E oil massaged into your nails in the evening while watching TV works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Vitamin E oil massaged into your nails in the evening while watching TV works well.
    Always a good choice, I do this too

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Not really a health condition as such, but my nails are so brittle and keep breaking/tearing, any suggestions on what I can do to improve my nails?
    Brittle nails can be caused from a health condition such as hypothyroidism or anemia so I would try to find out the cause rather than just treating the condition