Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Obesity

I found this article really interesting to read (please click on link below) and shows that obesity is linked to high amounts of sugar but the sugar is the same as a drug and you become addicted to it. I was always drinking a certain brand of Cola and I became addicted to it literally shaking if I didn’t have it, I also put on a considerable amount of weight which I now struggle to get rid of. More social media and games consoles means less exercise so it’s not just a case of bad eating habits.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...oods-and-drugs

Quote Originally Posted by Anna45 View Post
    It’s quite shocking when you really look around and watch how many people are becoming obese, the long term risks to their health are huge. Why do people not care enough about themselves to want to change and slim down? Is food really that important in their lives?
    I think to some people food is everything to them and can be an emotional crutch when they are feeling depressed they eat more then they put on weight and they feel more depressed and eat more and so it goes on.....

It’s good to see the government is trying to acknowledge the growing problem of obesity, and talk of banning 2for 1 deals and sweets and chocolate by checkouts, but I thought this was meant to be banned a few years ago!

I think moving the temptation away from checkouts is good. But I don’t think these things really deal with the true cause of obesity.

I think it highlights the problem, but it doesn’t real solve it in any real way.

Why does the media insist on showing phots of morbidly obese people, when sadly obese doesn’t look that fat now. Maybe if they showed pictures of obese people on the lower end, the story would relate and resonate with more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
    Boris wants to tackle the UK obesity problem by stopping 2for 1 and special deals on high fat and sugar foods
    Stopping 2 for 1 isn’t going to tackle obesity, does he think that deal means that overweight people buy 2 for 1 and eat both pizzas? I think that deal is targeted at low income families who can actually afford to have a treat by using the deal!

Being overweight has become the accepted size, there’s needs to be more education as to the implications of carrying weight in terms of cancer and chronic diseases.

Although I have to say, I have seen more people exercising, walking and cycling during the lock down than at any other time. So maybe people will carry on this new health kick.

Rather than taxing goods, why don’t they reduce the healthy ones and tax the bad ones? Make fruit and veg cheaper!

Get your kids off the game consoles and outside and that will help cut obesity

I saw this on my FB thread yesterday, how true!

Name:  FBF4D470-A893-4137-8A1E-923BA233961F.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.8 KB