Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees

Bees

Name:  82BBB7B6-C2CF-4760-B423-47944352514B.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  21.1 KB

Bee populations along with other pollinators have witnessed a steady decline over the past decade, with the blame being pointed at various causes including insecticides, climate change and disease.

The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) has suggested that an estimated 24% of Europe’s bumbles bees are threatened with extinction. This is an environmental disaster in the waiting, especially when you appreciate that bees contribute about 90% of pollination of the worlds crops, and without this natural pollination the world risks food insecurity.

In the Uk 13 species of Bee has been lost since 1900, and a further 35 are considered under threat of extinction. In Europe 1 in 10 wild bee species faces extinction.

More research needs to be undertaken to fully understand the causes of such extinction or decline, but what is known is that changes in land use, habitat loss, pesticide use, diseases, pollution, farming practices, climate change and invasive non-native species all play a role in the loss of the Bees.

One out of every three mouthfuls of our food depends on pollinators and crops that depend on pollination are considered to be five times more valuable than those that do not.

It needs to be understood that the drop in numbers is a threat to our natural habitat, food and environment as a whole. The drop in Bees can certainly be recognised as a litmus paper to the plight of the natural world as a whole.

Name:  6B5418C9-2CED-4C17-8099-0DD47DF6E431.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  20.0 KB

What can you do to improve this situation?

Buy local or British honey,

Plant a bee friendly garden, or windows box with nectar rich flowers,

Use natural insecticides in your garden, encourage more wildlife that feed off the insects.
    Last edited by Sandra; 21st July 2020 at 14:22.

My wife and I wanted to find a way to promote the bees around our home, so we bought one of these and put it on the side of the garage, it took a little while for the bees to show an interest, but they did.

I feel a little smug that we are trying to make a little difference in our own way, it makes you feel good giving back to nature, rather than taking from it all of the time.

Name:  66EA3353-DB1B-4D76-BC72-379BB8EB4F28.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  19.9 KB

If you put bee accommodation up, doesn’t it attract more bees around your house, to come in through your window?

Quote Originally Posted by Fran90 View Post
    If you put bee accommodation up, doesn’t it attract more bees around your house, to come in through your window?
    It has never been a problem for me, Bees tend to be too busy to be wondering into the house, they just go from flower to flower.

I can walk through my lavender which is covered in bees and they never bother me. It’s wasps I don’t like!

I have a garden full of lavender and this seems a popular choice with the bees in our area. Although I would still like to do more in attracting them to our garden.

Blog Entries
    I have my bee and bug house up, apparently it’s very good for solitary bees. The height needs to be between ground level and 1.5 metres high. I’ve put mine at 1.5 mitres as I have cats.

Name:  33340F01-97BB-482A-8B9A-92928A09539F.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  20.4 KB
    Organically Pure
    Changing the way you live your life

I was always led to believe that bees make honey and yes of course they do but when I thought I was taught about bees in school it was the fluffy fat bumble bee that I was always shown. To my amazement I was shown the bees that make the honey are the ones that look very much like wasps so I think in my ignorance I have killed many honey bees in the belief that they were pesky wasps about to sting me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe21 View Post
    I was always led to believe that bees make honey and yes of course they do but when I thought I was taught about bees in school it was the fluffy fat bumble bee that I was always shown. To my amazement I was shown the bees that make the honey are the ones that look very much like wasps so I think in my ignorance I have killed many honey bees in the belief that they were pesky wasps about to sting me!!!!
    oh no! Sadly, I don’t think you are alone, many people associate the bumble bee as being the only type of bee, when actually there are 270 species of Bee in the UK.

Not sure if this image will come out, I can see your confusion!

Name:  27F4D209-76D8-419C-9786-A60A747CB1A3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  15.7 KB
    Last edited by Antonio94; 27th July 2020 at 14:42.

Antonio94 they definitely look like wasps so sadly I have been killing bees without knowing!