Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking for health

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walking for health

I have heard that walking can be very beneficial for your heart, but I find it boring just walking round my local area any ideas to make it more interesting?

Blog Entries
    Hi Nellie G, I see this is your first post, Welcome. I know what you mean about how routine exercise can get boring. I found using local and National walking routes helped to spice things up a bit.

I also came across a range of books 'AA 50 Walks' that help me find those routes. The books cover routes by locality. So if you were in Yorkshire, there may be a book for that, this may also help you plan for walking routes when holidaying in the UK. Click this LINK to purchase and find out what areas are covered.

I hope this helps

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie G View Post
    I have heard that walking can be very beneficial for your heart, but I find it boring just walking round my local area any ideas to make it more interesting?

Hi Nellie, exercise can indeed be really boring - the thought of flogging myself in a gym looking at, well nothing, is mind numbing. I took up walking in the great outdoors and found certain routes became my fav's. This was simply down to what they entailed. Try walking through a coppice, or by a brook, or through your park by a tree that's always full of birds. When you find that interest you will get more out of it and the boredom will disappear. There is always something to see and there is always something that will have changed as the seasons progress.

If you can, you might also try to increase your pace. Do it gradually so that you exert your body that little bit more. You will find your body's natural feel good drug, endorphin, will lift your spirits. Pace doesn't have to mean just faster. You could try walking up hills too which will have the same effect. And, you will be rewarded with amazing views from the top.

Depending on whether you are also seeking that solitary 'expanse of peace' in your walk or simply just for exercise, you could also encourage a friend to join you and have a good natter along the way

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal View Post
    Depending on whether you are also seeking that solitary 'expanse of peace' in your walk or simply just for exercise, you could also encourage a friend to join you and have a good natter along the way
    Hi Sal,

what a great post, thank you. I hope you don't mind, but I loved your terminology 'expanse of peace'. I see a lot of people walking on their own along some remote pathways. I've often thought about why they walk alone, I think your quote sums it up beautifully. Sometimes we just want silence and alone time, time to connect with nature.

There are a lot of apps available to help you navigate around national walks, and some offer ideas on circular walks from short to long distances.

I particularly like View Ranger app.

Another vote here for the View Ranger app.

The app its self is free you then just pay a small fee for the Ordnance Survey map tiles that you need for any particular walk.

Once you have a the app on your device you can search for walks in any area, download the routes to your device then off you go and explore.

Have a look at their site here www.viewranger.com

Walking is so great isn't it. I found that my strength improved quite quickly and I lost weight on my legs and bum. Areas that are really difficult to target with other forms of exercise. Plus, I don't see it as exercise, more of a ramble through countryside and hills.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I came across this site and mobile app for walking, it looks really interesting, with trails all over the place. I would recommend you have a look and down load the app if you want more ideas for walking around the UK and beyond. Click on the image for more information.

I've taken up walking to try and keep supple and healthy. I've done about four walks so far and have enjoyed the walk and how I feel afterwards.

I try and mix it up a bit, so I'm not always doing the same walk, and vary the terrain. I watched a programme which was aired last night on the BBC about walks in Britain, it was really inspiring. The presenter said that walking was now the country's most popular past time.

Here is a link to the Britains Best Walks clip

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dvB6qOn9lXs